PDA

View Full Version : Question on starting out

matt hooley
09-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Ok, so for those of you who do not know, I recently bought in at PokerStars and have been playing at the .05/.1 limit.
An observation I have had over the past few days of playing is that in general I tend to be able to win more at the tighter tables than at the looser ones (measured by %to flop). Perhaps this is because as a beginer I play best tight and straightforward, lacking the skill or confidance to pull off the imaginative plays necesarry in the looser games. Whether this is true or not or my observation is even acurate or not, my question is as follows:

At this stage in my game should I
(A) be most concerned with playing the games were I know I can win the most (i.e. tight-weak) to put a bankroll together as fast as possible, or should I
(B) be more interested in seeking out as many different types of games as I can find and then taking my time to adjust and develop my play in each?

thanks,
matt

Masquerade
09-28-2004, 11:56 AM
I dont think you can learn much beyond the mechanics of the game at these limits. Decide on a reasonable stake of money youre willing to write-off as paying for your tuition and divide by 200 to find your big blind. [And dont say $20! /images/graemlins/smile.gif]

At this stage, experiment! In similar recurring situations try varying your play and see which works better. Jot down tricky decisions and look at the hand histories later. Pay particular attention to hands where you lose big. Should you have seen it coming?

Good luck!

cjx
09-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Focus on beating loose games as they are the most profitable. Your win % will decrease as the amount of players seeing the showdown increases, but your win amounts will increase much more.

Patience patience patience. I went on a streak at .5-1 winning a huge amount, cashed out. Came back a bit later and went on ~2k hand losing streak, 2k hands later I was just about breaking even... that seemed like an endless stretch to me, 4k hands and I've just broken even! But in reality it's not that many hands and I'm guessing you've logged less than that. Keep reading the forums, post hands, maybe pick up a new book (specifically WSSH by our own NPA). Loose games are good games.

cjx