PDA

View Full Version : Official OIC 2004…..Teaser

Gaming Club
09-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Due to popular demand, we’re happy to announce that we will be hosting the next installment of the OIC which will take place in the very near future.

Now before the posts filled with questions as to when it’s happening, details, prizes et al come in, we’d like to state that we will be posting full details closer to the time.

Before we reveal anything more, we’d like to extend our thanks to Mike Haven (Creator and CEO of the OIC), jasonHoldEm (Senior OIC Marketing Consultant) and HavanaBanana (OIC Rules & Security Officer) for giving up personal time to lend their support, help and expertise to get it off the ground /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

To give you a small indication of how this next one works see below:

Changes to the 2004 OIC

Rules
There will be some slight changes to the format, particularly the tightening of the rules. The amendment to the rules used in prior OIC’s really brings a new element to the challenge in terms of having to play your absolute best.

Bankroll Sponsorship
For this version the starting bank roll of $50 will need to be provided by you as a participant in the OIC. We will be providing bankroll insurance of $50 to all participants in the OIC (subject to bankroll insurance refund rules).

You have the option of either depositing a fresh $50 in your account if it’s empty or you can use your existing bankroll if it’s $50 or more. If you need to move money around between web wallets/sites then it’s best to prepare it now so that you’re ready to go when the OIC commences should you wish to participate.

So essentially, it's still a free $50 bankroll /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Prizes
Prizes are still pretty much the same with the main difference being a value added freeroll at the end of the challenge for participants who reach a certain level in the OIC.

With that, we hope to see many of you taking part and using this challenge as a great learning tool and hopefully snagging a few prizes along the way /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sarge85
09-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Consider me teased.

Good to see you guys back.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

HavanaBanana
09-28-2004, 11:37 AM
This is the absolute best tool for small and mid limit players to step into uncharted teritory without risking a single cent.
And not only that, there are lot of added value in the daily Prizes and end free tournaments.

+EV and FREE, can it get any better?

ToT

Disclaimer: I am associated with TheGamingClub, but that doesn't prevent me from giving it to you straight (As I always do)

GrinningBuddha
09-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Great to see you folks doing this again, GC! I look forward to slugging it out again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sheriff Fatman
09-28-2004, 12:10 PM
I claim victory - I completed it in 1 minute, 48 seconds! Now where's my prize?

Sheriff

PS: Just thought I'd get in first as someone usually makes a claim like this before it starts!

PPS: In all seriousness, its good to see this return. My sign up at 2+2 was directly in response to the first OIC and I'm still playing with the bankroll created from it. Hopefully I'll get to participate for old times sake but it looks like its going to coincide, at least in part, with my holiday. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ChristinaB
09-28-2004, 12:16 PM
I know details are forthcoming, but at least half of the posters here were not around when this happened last year. I could do a search of the archive forum, but I am sure a lot of other people are also interested. So:

Someone please explain in simple terms the principles and objectives of OIC, and how it will improve our game and be a worthwhile exercise for us.

Alobar
09-28-2004, 12:24 PM
who wants to set the over/under on how long till gabbyyyy starts bitching about something in this thread /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sheriff Fatman
09-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Very briefly:

You start with a bankroll of $50 and play 0.5/1 until you reach $100 and move to 1/2.
At $200 you go to $2/4.
At $1500 you go to $20/40 until you hit $2000.

It lasts about 3 weeks and first to $2000 wins a prize. Other finishers get a freeroll tournament entry. There are also prizes for the daily leader and biggest climber on each day.

The downside is that you have to immediately drop down a level once your bankroll drops to a certain level. I think its $75 for the drop from $1/2 to $0.5/1 IIRC. Therefore, its a bit of a rollercoaster ride as the limits are short compared to the usual bankroll requirements.

You can only use the OIC bankroll to compete - so multitabling is tricky as you have very little cash to do so.

Its limited risk as you potentially get to play higher limits than you're used to and you only risk $50 to do it (and it sounds like this is refunded if you bust out). Even if you get only partway there (as I did in OIC 1) you'll still end up with a tidy profit. In my case I had about $1700 after 3 weeks of OIC play (actually I won about $300 of this in a TGC multi which I played while OIC'ing on another table) which was a great initial boost to the bankroll. Incredibly, most of this came in the last day of it when I went from 3/6 to 10/20 in a day.

FWIW, in OIC 2, after much frustration at 0.5/1 I briefly made it to 2/4 before ending at 1/2 so its not as easy as it sounds.

Hope this helps.

Sheriff

Gallopin Gael
09-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Here ya go (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=390924&page=0&view =collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=all)

ChristinaB
09-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks Sheriff and Gallopin. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

A lot of us don't have TGC accounts and appreciate the advance info to help us decide whether we should plan on doing this.

daveymck
09-28-2004, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who wants to set the over/under on how long till gabbyyyy starts bitching about something in this thread /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping they would offer free money but with some stipulation that in effect means Gabby cant get the free cash. That would be much more entertaining.

Look forward to joining in this, never got past the first stage last time but be ggod to see how much better a player I am.

jasonHoldEm
09-28-2004, 07:18 PM
I'm really looking forward to the OIC this year. I trust that GC will be able to build on what they learned during the previous event and make this year even more successful and enjoyable for everyone. We've been kicking these ideas around for a week or so and the changes we've made to the rules are fairly minor and should not take anything away from the challenge.

I haven't recieved any (specific) details from GC regarding the prizes they will be offering, but if it is anything like last year there will be a lot of value (both educational and material) for everyone that participates.

Now I just need to locate my GC username and password... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Peace,
J

Gaming Club
09-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the comments all /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The OIC is loads of fun and from the feedback we've had when running the last 2, it really pushed people to play their best.

Prizes are pretty much the same as last year (the daily ones), plus a nice little freeroll at the end for participants who reach a certain level, not forgetting the main prizes for the person who reaches $2K first.

BradleyT
09-29-2004, 09:51 AM
You should offer a deposit/reload bonus now that 500 people on here have $500 they'll be withdrawing from Empire by this weekend.

GrannyMae
09-29-2004, 11:50 AM
not forgetting the main prizes for the person who reaches $2K first.

this will be me.

end of story

HavanaBanana
09-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Glad to hear that you will be joining Granny Mae.
The disbenefits of having this dayjob is that I can't play on TheGamingClub, oh yes, and that I can't play the ToeJam nor the KotZ!

If Granny is the first to $2000 I will give $100 to a Charity of her choice.
(Even if the Charity is gabbbyyyyyy)
ToT

GrannyMae
09-29-2004, 12:08 PM
I can't play the ToeJam nor the KotZ!

like i have missed you??? you are the *only* person i ever worried about taking me out for the triple GM bounty

If Granny is the first to $2000 I will give $100 to a Charity of her choice.

get the check ready

toys for tots will be very gracious since this will time nicely with x-mas.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/x0/noel.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/x0/snowman.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/x0/madnoel.gif

Gaming Club
09-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Sure thing, check our post here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1074311&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#1074311) .

cnfuzzd
09-29-2004, 06:14 PM
sorry to bump this thread amidst all the complaining about someone stealing the money we stole from them, but i was curious if there was any particular reason why i needed to set up my GC account before the OIC was starting. Will i only have like five seconds to join, or what.
Also, you guys are awesome for doing the 500 dollar match bonus. I dont think i could clear it, and i get a fairly respectable rakeback from empire, so i will probably stick to there, but i will be participating in all the cool things you all seem to be planning.

peace

john nickle

BradleyT
09-29-2004, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry to bump this thread amidst all the complaining about someone stealing the money we stole from them, but i was curious if there was any particular reason why i needed to set up my GC account before the OIC was starting. Will i only have like five seconds to join, or what.
Also, you guys are awesome for doing the 500 dollar match bonus. I dont think i could clear it, and i get a fairly respectable rakeback from empire, so i will probably stick to there, but i will be participating in all the cool things you all seem to be planning.

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year we had a private section on their website that we would log into using our TGC player ID to register for the OIC. It would list the top players, standings, etc. and allowed you to update your totals.

largeeyes
09-30-2004, 02:02 AM
How is playing 20/40 a good idea with only a 1500 bankroll?

Sheriff Fatman
09-30-2004, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually looking at the link to the original thread, the last OIC level is 15/30, not 20/40.

The aim of the OIC is for people to experience higher limits, albeit playing for a short-term goal on a short bankroll. Its 'risk free' as, if you get this far, the $1,500 bankroll you're using has actually been grown from the original $50. Following the OIC rules, you have to drop down levels again at $750 so the worst case scenario will be that you end up with an overall profit of 'only' $700 as a consequence.

Also, there's no obligation to play this high. Many players in previous OIC's stopped and took the money they'd made at lower limits such as $5/10.

Besides, if history is anything to go by, relatively few players will get as far as the 15/30 level in the time available.

Sheriff

AncientPC
09-30-2004, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not, but it's to see who can hit $2,000 first starting from only $50. It gives people a chance to try higher limits with less risk (as in they only put in $50 and time) and bigger payout with prizes and such.

In regards to the OIC, I'm interested and want to participate but I have a few questions.

1) If you already have an account and money at TGC, how do you keep your OIC and regular bankroll seperate? Will we be given a seperate login or something similar?

2) Must we play the limit tables? Can we start off playing the NL $2 or NL $5 and try moving up with NL instead of limits?

3) When is this slated to begin?

Gaming Club
09-30-2004, 06:15 AM
The assistance in explaining the OIC concept is appreciated Sheriff /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AncientPC
[ QUOTE ]

1) If you already have an account and money at TGC, how do you keep your OIC and regular bankroll seperate? Will we be given a seperate login or something similar?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is done by registering for the OIC at the registration URL we'll post before it begins. Once registered, there's a login page to see your progress during the OIC and the leaderboard. When doing so, any monies that are outside of your original $50 OIC bankroll need to be declared so that we can calculate your OIC standing correctly.

For example:

You deposit $100 and use $50 for OIC purposes. When registering/logging into the leaderboard section, there will be a field where you can declare your non-OIC balance, which is this case would be $50.

This enables us to calculate your OIC standing correctly and is the essence of the OIC being an honor bound challenge - it's up to you to ensure that the correct balance declarations are made at all times.

Following on from that, during the wee hours of the morning you decide to have a game NL game and land up making $25 profit. Now this play does not form part of the OIC and is outside your OIC BR, so you have to go back and re-declare the amount of money that is non-OIC related, which would be $50+$25 = $75 non-OIC balance declaration.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Must we play the limit tables? Can we start off playing the NL $2 or NL $5 and try moving up with NL instead of limits?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, unfortunately not. The OIC is fixed limit only.

[ QUOTE ]

3) When is this slated to begin?

[/ QUOTE ]
Soon. We'll confirm as far as possible in advance as to the start date but for now it's tentatively looking like either mid October or beginning November.

We're definitely thinking of our American friends though with the Thanksgiving holidays coming up, so we'll try to have it so that it doesn't coincide with that if possible.

Sheriff Fatman
09-30-2004, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Soon. We'll confirm as far as possible in advance as to the start date but for now it's tentatively looking like either mid October or beginning November.

We're definitely thinking of our American friends though with the Thanksgiving holidays coming up, so we'll try to have it so that it doesn't coincide with that if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beginning of November would be an almost exact anniversary of the first one and would therefore seem ideal to me (of course this is nothing to do with the fact that I'm on holiday until 31st Oct /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

With regard to the Thanksgiving thing, this was referred to last time around but I don't think anyone complained too loudly about it in practice. I think you're always likely to hit some event or other somewhere around the world regardless of whatever date you choose.

daveymck
09-30-2004, 06:50 AM
And we dont have thanksgiving so it give us that competative edge of an extra day while all the US players are busy drunk and eating a 30 pound turkey each. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sheriff Fatman
09-30-2004, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And we dont have thanksgiving so it give us that competative edge of an extra day while all the US players are busy drunk and eating a 30 pound turkey each. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately on that extra day you will be virtually guaranteed to be sat at a table with 5 2+2ers and 4 other players operating out of the same internet cafe in Bergen - so its not as +EV as it sounds!

Sheriff

elric
09-30-2004, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately on that extra day you will be virtually guaranteed to be sat at a table with 5 2+2ers and 4 other players operating out of the same internet cafe in Bergen - so its not as +EV as it sounds!

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I did not realize the whole world knew that every American eats 13 Kilos of Turkey on this special occasion. Thats just to make sure no one gets blood alcohol poisoning from the hecto-litre of beer and deca-litre of everclear that each of us drink on this special day.

Five zoo players and four players at the same Internet cafe in Bergen... LMAO... Definitely -EV

(This would be the funniest thing I have read on here... If those damn guys in Bergen had not busted me out. ROFL...)