PDA

View Full Version : Live single-table question

dfscott
09-28-2004, 10:06 AM
This happened in a live $10 buy-in "learning" tournament. I'm pretty sure that all the players are 2+2'ers, but many are experienced limit players that are learning how to play NL tournaments (I include myself in that group).

I'm in the BB with AQo in the early stages. Folded to SB, an experienced NL/tournament player who just calls and says "let's see a flop."

What's my play?

I'm asking because I got blasted for my play after the hand, but in all the confusion, never found out what the correct play was.

codewarrior
09-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Live game with an experienced player. Check, see the flop, and move on. I'm guessing he had AA or a small pocket pair?

DeuceKicker
09-28-2004, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't even qualify for a "learning" tourney, but I'd say raise. Don't let him dictate the play. You have a good hand. If he's slowplaying AA or AK, then so be it.

Edit: I'm sure some will say that his "let's see a flop" statement was reverse psychology if he held a hand, and thus a raise is letting him dictate play, but the fact is that you do hold a hand, and in a learning tourney I don't think I'd look for those kinds of moves... or be seeing monsters in every closet.

dfscott
09-29-2004, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't even qualify for a "learning" tourney, but I'd say raise. Don't let him dictate the play. You have a good hand. If he's slowplaying AA or AK, then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking as well. I thought he might be sitting on a low pocket pair, hoping to flop a set and trap me.

I raised a significant amount (around 3BB, but it might've been more since I was having trouble adding the chips -- the curse of the online player). He folded and everyone said that my play was an "amateur play." Just trying to figure out what I should've done...

willie
09-29-2004, 11:12 AM
played it fine, poker isn't a game of friendliness, it's a game of ruthlessness.