PDA

View Full Version : I ruined a potentially great pot on the turn. (embarrassing!)

cianosheehan
09-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Party 6 max NL25.

Im on sb with T /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG raises .50 to $1.

fold, call, I call and BB calls

Flop : Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, giving me a belly buster straight draw and back door nut flush draw.

I bet $1. BB folds. UTG raises to $2. UTG+2 calls, I call.

Turn : Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif (J /images/graemlins/heart.gif) - Theres my nut straight, WITH a nut flush/royal flush draw.

I check. UTG bets $5. UTG+2 calls $5. I raise to $15. OUCH! Why did I bet so high I ask myself.

Fold Fold /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Hero wins $33.75

I cant remember how much they each had left in their stack, but I think it might have been another $15 or so. I should have just raised it to ten dollars. For some stupid reason, I thought I needed to know if anyone had the flush already. Just a small moment of foggy thinking.

I could have even flat called (but that would be giving a free chance for two pair/set to fill up)

Looking back I think check-raising the turn was probably better than betting into it. Alot of people are immediately scared by the presence of a possible flush on the board, and had I raised to only $10, chances are I would have got two calls.

Would anyone have played this hand any differently (besides the obvious).

Cheers

Scotch78
09-29-2004, 03:01 AM
Did you cross post this in the NL forum? You'll get better replies there.

Scott

Dov
09-29-2004, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For some stupid reason, I thought I needed to know if anyone had the flush already.

[/ QUOTE ]

What difference would it have made? You were going to see the end with this hand no matter what. I don't think that your $15 bet was out of line at all. It was only half the pot. I think that's what scared them.

If you had bet the pot, or overbet the pot, someone may have put you on a bluff. As it were, you pretty much guaranteed that the only hand that would call you would be a set or better. You weren't the only one who saw a potential royal flush here.

I still like the bet, though. This post would have gone differently if you had let them all in, the board pairs, and you lose to a FH. If you get the money in now, so much the better. Your bet wasn't out of line with either the pot or your hand.

The more I think about it, the more I like the bet. I don't like the reasoning, though. (See quote above)

Dov