PDA

View Full Version : False Truisms that make me money

chill888
09-28-2004, 06:25 AM
A pet peeve of mine (but one that i expect some of you will disagree with).

Most of us will agree on the following false truism: "Small pairs are great hands, since 22 beats AKo heads up."

Recently I keep hearing what I believe is another false truism:
"Tight players don't play to win." I have read so many recent posts that advocate an all-in call or huge reraise on bubble, etc and justify it with the statement "well I play to win." Well occasionally 22 IS a good hand - and often you do need to be aggressive - and you do need to win a large % of ITM's to maximize profit,

BUT: I believe that a large chunk of people use the above to justify poor play to my benefit.

LOL Thoughts?

PrayingMantis
09-28-2004, 08:23 AM
Yes, "I play for 1st, f*** 3rd", is many times an excuse for a bad play, that is actually _losing_ money rather than winning. But there are times where this approach is correct, specificaly in the money, and in certain bubble situations.

I must admit that most of the mistakes I'm making at SNGs (i.e, plays that I consider as mistakes, at least in some sense, while analyzing my game), are a result of a (somewhat) over-(loose)-aggressive play. However, I'm sure and know that what is somewhat "over-aggressive" for me, could be seen as "completely crazy and manical" by some, or "too timid" by others. And both kinds are good, winning players.

It's all a question of balance.