PDA

View Full Version : hand against the "raising station"

stagasaurus
09-28-2004, 03:24 AM
B&M 3-6 game. Pretty loose, with one guy who had just one a 100 dollar Monday Night Football promotion and was on a mission to lose his prize to the rest of the table. Had just raised a gutshot straight draw and later raised bottom pair. I'll refer to him as "guy who likes to raise".

Now the hand:
I'm in the SB with 7h 7d and raise (perhaps a mistake?) with 6 limpers. All call.

Flop: 10s, 6h, 2h.
I bet, "guy who likes to raise" among the 4 or 5 callers.

Turn: 10h.
I bet, all fold to the "guy who likes to raise", who calls

River: 3c.
I check, he bets, I call and show my two pair. He turns over a Jh, 5h for a flush, winning about a 12bb pot.

I'm pretty sure I misplayed this hand in more than one spot, though I think the river call was correct given the read on my opponent. My feeling was that he could have had middle pair as much as he could have had a flush. Comments?

Evan
09-28-2004, 03:28 AM
Why did you raise PF? This doesn't make sense. I don't understand your read on this guy. I like to raise too, when I make flushes I raise, why didn't he? I'd have a hard time not betting the river unless I thought there was a very good chance he'd raise on a bluff or bet on a bluff if checked to, if that's the case you played it fine (postflop).

stagasaurus
09-28-2004, 03:42 AM
Admittedly the pre-flop raise was a mistake. It was my last hand of the night, so I figured, "let's gamble". I realize that's not a great idea.

The guy I was playing against was raising nearly every hand, but I don't think he was smart enough to bluff. I would have rather paid one bet to show my hand than two.

Evan
09-28-2004, 03:45 AM
If you don't think he'll bluff (which by the way I would think he would witha read of liking to raise, as you can tell I really don't understand this read) then i'd bet the river, no hand that you can beat is going to raise for value here, but worse hands will call. If you get raised on the river you can fold. Betting out is almost always better than check-calling, this is straight out of TOP.

DownUnder
09-28-2004, 06:29 AM
I don't like the raise PF out of the SB. I would raise 77 off the button where you have position but not from the SB.

With a "normal" opponent I would bet the river and fold to a raise, but given your read of "Guy Who Loves to Raise" I'm not sure I could fold in this spot. Check call here looks fine to me.

DU

Bob T.
09-28-2004, 11:40 AM
The preflop raise, wasn't a mistake, unless your reason was to gamble, then it was.

It was my last hand of the night,

This is the mistake, why is your last hand of the night in the SB. You probably should have racked up UTG, instead of paying your blinds for only two more hands.

TheHip41
09-28-2004, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the SB with 7h 7d and raise (perhaps a mistake?) with 6 limpers. All call

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Admittedly the pre-flop raise was a mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

No way is this a mistake to raise preflop. Sometimes you get the BB to fold, but more importantly, you are forcing 6 players to invest another SB. This make the pot big if you hit a set. If you miss a set, just get away from the hand. But if that flop was 10-7-x, you did a good job getting extra money in there preflop.

Don't be afraid to raise preflop then let it go if you completely miss and think you are behind.

Jonny Melon
09-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Pre-flop is fine.

Given your read, I think the flop and turn are fine, assuming you would've folded to a raise on the turn.

The check-call on the river HU is a good play if your opponent is a habitual bluffer. Against a less bluffy opponent, this seems like a reasonable value bet.

MoreWineII
09-28-2004, 11:50 AM
If you flop a set, it really doesn't make much of a difference what position you are in post-flop.

PF raise is fine with that many players as long as you know why you're doing it. "I wanted to gamble" isn't great reasoning.

And why is "the guy who likes to raise" just calling with a flush? You sure you had the correct read on him?