PDA

View Full Version : Set with a 4-straight on the board, continue betting?

deadlinguo
09-28-2004, 02:17 AM
First post here, I love these forums /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

This was an interesting hand. I'm not sure if my check on the river was the right play.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (14 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (14 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (20 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22 BB

I wasn't sure what the other guy had that he would cap the betting with on the flop. I was reasonably sure it wasn't pocket queens, so my best guess was two pair, or AJ/AQ.

Oh, and a question about my pre-flop raise. Was it a smart raise considering I was the BB and there were already several limpers who would never fold to a single bet? Should I have just checked and seen the flop for free?

Thanks for your input =)

Evan
09-28-2004, 03:04 AM
PF, flop and turn are fine. I'm putting CO on QJ, so I think a river bet is in order. If he raises you then just call. I would be surprised if CO did have a straight because of his heavy flop action. He may hhave had KT for the flopped open ender and be thinking he drew out on you. The only possible staight he could have is AQ but I would expect to see that raised PF. SO as I said, bet the river, call a raise.

jeffseib
09-28-2004, 03:26 AM
Seems to me that CO could have anything. His raise and cap on the flop says pair of Qs, set of 6s (pair of Js unlikely). If he has top pair on flop, he may be trying to defend his Qs on the turn. He then slows down when you raise.

On the river, he again becomes active. Maybe he had QT and has now made his stright, or made two pair (KQ in the hole, if he is a passive player).

About your pre-flop raise, I think it was the right thing to do, you are a favorite to win the hand as no one else raised, and you want to pad the pot with dead money.

brassnuts
09-28-2004, 03:41 AM
I feel icky sometimes doing this, but I bet/call a raise.

TheHip41
09-28-2004, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and a question about my pre-flop raise. Was it a smart raise considering I was the BB and there were already several limpers who would never fold to a single bet? Should I have just checked and seen the flop for free?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like money? If so, you need to get the most in there when you have a huge hand, ie, AA-TT. If you won't raise JJ here, do you raise QQ, or KK?

dejableu
09-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Definitely raise pre-flop. I also used to just check on the big blind, but you have a huge hand and it is worth giving up deception to get more money in the pot, even if you do have bad position.

The only way you (realistically) lose this hand is to AQ--I say that discounting the possibility of AA, KK, and QQ, all hands that would have definitely raised preflop, as well as a hand like Ax, which would not have gone crazy on the flop.

In my opinion, you will be up against a worse set or two pair many more times than you will be up against AQ. Sure, you may have been up against AQ, which by the way is more likely if your opponent is solid, but otherwise you could easily be up against KQ, QJ, QT, 66, or even junk like Q6 or the unlikely J6.

I say bet the river. He will call with all of those worse hands that I mentioned, and probably only raise with an A (though you still have to call that raise if it does come).

MoreWineII
09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like money? If so, you need to get the most in there when you have a huge hand, ie, AA-TT. If you won't raise JJ here, do you raise QQ, or KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm all up on Hip's jock today. So, what he said.