PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Theory......Sort Of

BFlush
09-28-2004, 02:00 AM
I have recently started an essay on chaos theory and how it is involved with poker. One of my main points to support its presence deals with the odds of making hands. Unfortunantly I am stuck with the whole thing and am looking for some help. So I pose this question to you all. For example: If the probability of being dealt Aces is 220-1, why do they not follow that pattern exactly? Why do you sometimes see them 3 times out of 100, or 1 time out of 1000? What is it that makes the odds fluctuate so dramatically on a short term scale? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as my tiny poker mind has yet to come up with a solid theory.

johnsy
09-28-2004, 03:46 AM
i know a little about chaos theory, so here goes.......i think your asking the wrong question........over the course of a lifetime aces come 220-1...........period.......if u had a painting of a timeline(of your lifetime) with a red dot when u got aces, up close the red dots on the painting would appear random, but far away it would look very even........the point is that the random creates the pattern.........which is very uniform.....and thats the point..the random creates the pattern...so the question is, how can a random thing create a pattern that is uniform?????

Duke
09-28-2004, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how can a random thing create a pattern that is uniform?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a tangent to consider:

The most interesting thing I've read about recently involved uniform things creating patterns that are indeed random.

~D

snowlarbear
09-28-2004, 06:06 PM
i know little of chaos theory aside from hs stats and jurassic park, but the odds are given infinite amounts of time, while obviously we play in the "finite time" realm.