PDA

View Full Version : How strongly should one play AKo/AKs?

g29w
09-28-2004, 12:09 AM
How strongly should one play AKo/AKs?

If you raise early position, how much?
Do you usually bet on the flop, if you miss?
How often does your TPTK stand up in a showdown if you do hit?

I find I've been losing money with AKo/AKs.

bobman0330
09-28-2004, 10:43 AM
In my experience, AK is one of the most table-dependent hands there is. You're aiming to make TPTK, and whether that's a good thing or not depends on what your opponents are making. Factors to consider:
-How deep are you? If you're playing with 50 BBs or less, you'll be all-in on the flop or turn pretty easily without overbetter. If you've got more money, you're going to risk losing a big pot to two pair or a set.
-How weak tight are your opponents? If you're against some people who will call a PF raise then fold if they don't hit, raise AK/AQ all day long and pick up the pot on the flop.
-How crazy loose are your opponents? If your opponents are mixing it up with KQ/AQ/AJ or worse, then i scarcely need to tell you how much you can make with AK.
-multi-way or heads-up? TPTK is more likely to make money for you in a heads-up pot, obviously.

In EP, I usually raise against tight opponents to limit the field. in LP, if there are limpers who are just trying to get a cheap flop, raise again to show them what's what. From the blinds I usually check. position is so crucial with this hand. If there's a sizeable raise in front, i have a hard time reraising unless you can get all-in reasonably.

After the flop, variety is the spice of life. in a big-bet game, avoid above all things predictability. If your opponent is going to fold if he misses, bet a lot of the time regardless of whether you hit. If it's a drawing board, be less inclined to bet. If you do hit, a trick I've found is to try and be the one to make a raise, not to make the first bet. If you bet TPTK and get raised, it's hard to put your opponent on a hand. On the other hand, if you raise or check-raise with TPTK and get reraised, you can heave it into the muck without hesitation.

AKs is different in a few ways. It picks up a few key percentage points all-in PF, so be more inclined to play it that way. If you flop a flush draw with either 2 overs or TPTK, you have one of my favorite semi-bluffing hands. try to orchestrate the flop action so you can move into your opponent for a pot-sized bet. it's wonderful.

Hope this helps, and if you lose money with this advice, it's doubtless because you're doing it wrong. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chuckster
09-28-2004, 10:56 AM
I like to raise about 4x the BB with AK (offsuit or suited). If I hit the flop I come out for a bet about 2/3 of the pot. If I get raised, I likely re-raise all-in (depending on what is showing obviously). If I miss my flop and it is checked to me, I bet the pot....regardless of what is showing. If I get raised I throw it away right there. On the turn, if I hit another blank I likely just check...UNLESS....I feel that my opponent is drawing, then I might make a big bet.

This hand, as mentioned in another reply is very dependent on the table, situation, game, etc.....

josie_wales
09-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Bobman,

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a drawing board, be less inclined to bet. If you do hit, a trick I've found is to try and be the one to make a raise, not to make the first bet. If you bet TPTK and get raised, it's hard to put your opponent on a hand. On the other hand, if you raise or check-raise with TPTK and get reraised, you can heave it into the muck without hesitation

[/ QUOTE ]

This is solid advice, that if used properly can help many with their AK play.

Nice,

jw

g29w
09-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks!

fimbulwinter
09-29-2004, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to raise about 4x the BB with AK (offsuit or suited). If I hit the flop I come out for a bet about 2/3 of the pot. If I get raised, I likely re-raise all-in (depending on what is showing obviously).

[/ QUOTE ]

please come play at my table

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-29-2004, 06:53 AM
OMG as long as you raise pre flop and bet after the flop, you WILL MAKE MONEY! it is NOT A HARD HAND TO PLAY! TT is a herd hand to play....

JohnG
10-01-2004, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How strongly should one play AKo/AKs?

If you raise early position, how much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise a normal amount with the Aks, say to a total of between 3-4X BB if opening. Usually limp when offsuit if there is no ante and stacks of 20X BB or more.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you usually bet on the flop, if you miss?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends.

[ QUOTE ]
How often does your TPTK stand up in a showdown if you do hit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how you play it post flop.

JohnG
10-01-2004, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OMG as long as you raise pre flop and bet after the flop, you WILL MAKE MONEY! it is NOT A HARD HAND TO PLAY! TT is a herd hand to play....

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is TT from early position hard to play?