PDA

View Full Version : Lead Changes

zolltron
09-28-2004, 12:00 AM
The game in question is a 4-8 Live game in Southern California.

Twice last night I had normal, unimaginative players bet into me on the turn after I showed strength before and after the flop (I had TPTK). In both cases the player did not have even top pair weak kicker, nor did the turn give him a draw. The turn wasn't an obvious scare card either. Normally when I player wakes up and shows strength on a ragged turn, I put them on some obnoxious two pair and call them down if I have top pair. Given that it happened twice to me last night (and the two cases were not causally related), I'm wondering if I should be raising these turn bets.

If I thought the players were smart enough to check-raise with their strong hands, I would raise the turn. But these players would regularly come out betting when they hit a hand regardless of the possibility of a check-raise.

Is there something in How to Be a Fish Monthly that suggests this play? Have others encountered it? Do you normally raise in these situations?

thanks
-z

Joe Tall
09-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Unfortunately, there is no answer to your question. Without knowing the preflop action, size of the pot, consistency of the flop and number of opponents including their position to you, there is no answer.

Try posting a hand with every detail you can provide.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

joker122
09-28-2004, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

In both cases the player did not have even top pair weak kicker, nor did the turn give him a draw. The turn wasn't an obvious scare card either...I'm wondering if I should be raising these turn bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you suspect a pure bluff then raising is by far the worst play.

zolltron
09-28-2004, 01:27 AM
Joe -

Thanks for the response.

I think one of my questions can be answered without any specific hand. I.e., how often do people catch fish betting out on the turn into preflop and flop aggression with nothing? If it turns out to happen often enough then I ought to be raising unless I have a specific reason not to.

But for the other questions, here is a reconstruction of one of the hands:

I am in LP with AKo. 3 limpers, I raise, BB and limpers call.

Flop comes K82 rainbow. Checked to me, I bet, three callers.

Turn comes 4 completing the rainbow. First to act bets, one caller and two folds. Raise?

The only remarkable difference in the second hand is that the turn did put a flush draw on the board. (the kings were queens, and the rags were different, although equally uncoordinated, but the action was the same.)

Thanks again.

-z

Joe Tall
09-28-2004, 06:58 PM
I think one of my questions can be answered without any specific hand. I.e., how often do people catch fish betting out on the turn into preflop and flop aggression with nothing? If it turns out to happen often enough then I ought to be raising unless I have a specific reason not to.

Well, yes it can be answered. Here is mine: Sometimes.

[ QUOTE ]
I am in LP with AKo. 3 limpers, I raise, BB and limpers call.

Flop comes K82 rainbow. Checked to me, I bet, three callers.

Turn comes 4 completing the rainbow. First to act bets, one caller and two folds. Raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the player is any bit tricky and the caller is a ppure call station; I would raise. If the is uber-passive, I would go into call down. Player descriptions are key in this situation.

Peace,
Joe Tall