PDA

View Full Version : Baptism troubles????

easypete
09-27-2004, 10:20 PM
OK... here's the situation (since I qualify for J on Sklansky's religion quiz, I feel unqualified to answer it):

Father In-Law: Baptised Catholic
Brother In-Law: Baptised Catholic
Nephew (son of Brother In-Law): to be baptised as Baptist.

Father In-Law notifies us that this is a big problem for the future pro poker player (currently 3 - just starting to work on implied odds), but doesn't explain why.

A. Is the kid eternally damned?
B. Will the kid burst into flames (baptism by fire)?
C. It doesn't matter, because there is no god and all religion is superstitious behavior?
D. Other (explain)

Jimbo
09-27-2004, 10:30 PM
C.

Jimbo

Sundevils21
09-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Baptism is a public announcement of your faith(in whatever). If the kid is too young to decide then it doesn't matter. It's not going to hurt anything but if you feel weird about it than I wouldn't do it. Wait until the kid is old enough to choose whether or not to publicly anounce his/her faith.
-my 2cents

easypete
09-28-2004, 07:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Baptism is a public announcement of your faith(in whatever). If the kid is too young to decide then it doesn't matter. It's not going to hurt anything but if you feel weird about it than I wouldn't do it. Wait until the kid is old enough to choose whether or not to publicly anounce his/her faith.
-my 2cents

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of that, and that was the way I was brought up. The issue is that my brother in-law has made a decision to baptise his son, due mainly to pressure from his in-laws, in a non-catholic faith. His father was kicked out of the church because of a messy divorce, but still is concerned for some reason that this baptism is wrong.

I just didn't know if there was some sort of caveat in catholicism that says that bad things will happen if you baptise your child in a protestant faith after you have been baptised as a catholic.

elwoodblues
09-28-2004, 10:01 AM
If you got married in the Catholic Church you agreed to raise your kids Catholic.

[ QUOTE ]
Baptism is a public announcement of your faith

[/ QUOTE ]

Baptism is a welcoming into the community. Confirmation (for Catholics --- don't know about other faiths) is the public pronouncement of your faith.

easypete
09-28-2004, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you got married in the Catholic Church you agreed to raise your kids Catholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes some sense. This doens't realy apply to grandchildren tho, right?

elwoodblues
09-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Nope

bingledork
09-28-2004, 12:19 PM
My wife and I were both born and raised Catholic.
I've since seen the light and no longer attend church. My wife still feels compelled to attend and it makes her happy so that's great.

When our daughter was born I wanted to baptize her in the nearby river to demonstrate our spirituality and belief in God without being stained by Catholicism. But we baptized our daughter in a Catholic church. We did this for our parents. I'm sure my father-in-law sounds like yours. He's a fundamentalist Catholic kind of guy.

I believe that "true" Catholicism requires a child be baptised to avoid hell. Same goes for communion. But only the Pope believes that crap. The vast majority of Catholics are reasonable in their beliefs and don't follow the Catechisms by the book.

Sundevils21
09-28-2004, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Baptism is a welcoming into the community. Confirmation (for Catholics --- don't know about other faiths) is the public pronouncement of your faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize that. I don't know much about the Catholic Church at all.
I only know about baptism in my faith, so I don't think I can give any informed advice.(I should have thought of that before chiming in I guess)

samjjones
09-28-2004, 05:12 PM
[quote

I agree with all of that, and that was the way I was brought up. The issue is that my brother in-law has made a decision to baptise his son, due mainly to pressure from his in-laws, in a non-catholic faith. His father was kicked out of the church because of a messy divorce, but still is concerned for some reason that this baptism is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...he was kicked out of the church because of a divorce? Does anybody else see the hypocrisy in such a thing? The guy may have devoted his life to good and helped countless people, but he can't get along with his wife for whatever reason and now is damned to hell?

slavic
09-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Nephew (son of Brother In-Law): to be baptised as Baptist.

Is this an infant? The last time I checked the Baptist won't batise him if he is.

uw_madtown
09-28-2004, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The vast majority of Catholics are reasonable in their beliefs and don't follow the Catechisms by the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to kick off a religious debate, but... why not become Protestant (or agnostic, or Atheist, or Wiccan, or whatever falls in line with what you really believe)?

I'm a non-denominational Protestant Christian, and I've long been a bit harsh on Catholicism simply because there don't seem to be a lot of Catholics who A) follow what the Church says you should do/believe and B) are actually happy with it.

If you don't believe what they're saying, or you're unhappy with it, why stay Catholic? I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I'm honestly curious. The only reason I've ever come up with is a sense of tradition... which just doesn't quite hold water with me as a good reason for a religious belief, but... I mean, is there another reason? Or? Hm? Gah? OWRHH? H? .?