PDA

View Full Version : all in magazine article

mostsmooth
09-27-2004, 07:26 PM
ok so im reading an article on page 67 i think of the aug/sep issue. it talks about some photographer and a world series final years ago and how great the photo was and it gives details of the hand. the details were that one guy had Qs and the other guy had KJs and the board came 663J3 or something to that affect, except when you look at the picture, you can make out the Qs, but the other guy has 56, or 67 (i cant recall, but its obvious in the photo), and the board had at least 3 picture cards. was this some type of goof or bad writing or what?

mostsmooth
09-28-2004, 09:46 AM
ok, so am i the only one who read it? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

astroglide
09-28-2004, 11:32 AM
it's possible

rtucker5
09-29-2004, 01:10 PM
I haven't seen the article or the picture, but the hand you are describing is the one when Tom McEvoy won the WSOP. He had QQ against his opponents KJs, all-in preflop. I have seen the video.

plaster8
09-30-2004, 06:45 AM
It looks like a goof. The photo looks like it's of an earlier hand when McEvoy doubled up while heads-up against Rod Peate in the 1983 World Series -- but not the final hand. From "The Championship Table" by McEvoy:
"Finally, I caught a key hand that turned things around. Rod raised with the 7-6 (clubs), I reraised with K-Q offsuit, taking a stand with the hand, and he called. The flop came queen-high with a couple of clubs, so he flopped a flush draw and then paired one of his cards on the turn, giving him a lot of outs. Rod was way ahead of me in chips at the time, about $800,000 to my $200,000. He didn't get there with his draw and I moved up to about an equal chip position with him."

That hand seems to match the photo much better.

I'm pissed -- I actually copy-edited that issue of the magazine (save for a few stories that were added after my proofing), but obviously didn't catch the fact that the photo doesn't seem to match the story's specifics. That would be my bad.

-- Mike

mostsmooth
09-30-2004, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It looks like a goof.

I'm pissed -- I actually copy-edited that issue of the magazine (save for a few stories that were added after my proofing), but obviously didn't catch the fact that the photo doesn't seem to match the story's specifics. That would be my bad.

-- Mike

[/ QUOTE ]
are you guys hiring? i could work at home /images/graemlins/wink.gif