PDA

View Full Version : AKo early in tourney

maryfield48
09-27-2004, 07:16 PM
This was in the first or second orbit of a home single table tourney with 7 players. 2000 chips starting, one re-buy allowed per player, if busted out during Level 1, for 1000 chips. Blinds 15-30, antes 10. No significant moves in chips yet. In LP I pick up AKo & raise to 75 - my standard pre-flop raise at this level. Only BB calls. He's a very loose player who will chase and chase and chase.

Flop is A-7-4 rainbow.

BB Checks, I bet 200, BB calls.

Turn is 6.

BB Checks, I bet 500, BB calls. I'm worried about the straight now because I reckon this guy could play any 2.

River is 5.

BB Checks, I check. Really worried about the straight.

Any comments?

housenuts
09-27-2004, 07:31 PM
i think you played that fine. i like checking the river there too.

Texas Pete
09-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Everything looks ok to me. The check on the end is the only thing that *may* be questionable. The bad players call all the way down in the situation when they have KK-99, something like that. I find that they will bet big with an OESD, rarely setting you up for the all-in you fear on the end. In other words i'd make another big bet here.

patrick dicaprio
09-27-2004, 07:41 PM
i am not sure what you would like to do differently. frankly i am surprised he checked the river.

Pat

maryfield48
09-27-2004, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i am not sure what you would like to do differently. frankly i am surprised he checked the river.

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

My question is really are my bets on the flop & turn the right size.

He had 5-5 for the rivered set. I guess he was nervous about the straight too.

SmileyEH
09-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Looks good, although with the structure a raise preflop to 3.5 - 4 big blinds would probably be better given the antes involved.

Check on the end is fine. I'd be happy to have villian at my table /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

-SmileyEH

housenuts
09-27-2004, 11:18 PM
you were putting out pretty close to pot size bets which is good. maybe 600 on the turn would have been a better bet but it doesn't sound like this guy is folding anyways.

maryfield48
09-28-2004, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks good, although with the structure a raise preflop to 3.5 - 4 big blinds would probably be better given the antes involved.

Check on the end is fine. I'd be happy to have villian at my table /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup he makes his share of suckouts of course but if you can keep some chips in front of you he always gives them back. Actually later in this tourney I made a major suckout on him - I had 6d6c and flop was 3-4-5 with 2 diamonds. He went all in and I called for about a third of my stack - figured odds were he had the wheel at best - since I had two of the sixes. Of course he flips 6h-7d. Turn was a blank and river a 7 for the split. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ChasingTitles
09-29-2004, 12:11 PM
If you think he is chasing why not move in after 4th street? With his 55 he doesnt have a str8, and is he that much of a nut to be callibg large bets with 35 or 38?

I have found that weak calling stations such as your friend here are going to call bets like 500, etc, but they usually think twice about calling for all their chips.

maryfield48
10-02-2004, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you think he is chasing why not move in after 4th street? With his 55 he doesnt have a str8, and is he that much of a nut to be callibg large bets with 35 or 38?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what he has - he could be slowplaying two-pair, he could have the straight. I don't see any reason to put all my chips in with TPTK when 3 to a straight are on the board. I do believe he is capable of calling the PFR with any two suited or up to a two-gap connector. He would see it as 75 out of 2000 chips, pfft, big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I have found that weak calling stations such as your friend here are going to call bets like 500, etc, but they usually think twice about calling for all their chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably true. Against that, I don't need to guess now. I'm odds-on to be around to bust him later.