PDA

View Full Version : SSH advice vs. WLLHE advice

the eyes of texas
09-27-2004, 06:49 PM
At the end of Rocky III, Apollo Creed says to Rocky, The difference between you and me is that you fight great, but I'm a great fighter. I think this statement can also be used to describe the difference between SSHE and WLLHE. What I mean is that the advice given in WLLHE can make the reader play great, but SSHE can transform the reader into a great player. It seems that WLLHE is written similiar to that of an instruction manual. It tells you what to do and when to do it, and then offers a brief explanation. Therefore, it is my opinion that WLLHE can make the reader play great only if he/she is confronted with a situation described in the book. These situations, when they do arise, still differ from that of the ones described in WLLHE simply because of the numerous variables that can have an effect on the hand in play. To summarize my thoughts on WLLHE, I'd say that it is a terrific book. It improved my game tremendously and I constantly reccommend it to people interested in learning a solid approach to the game. However, I think it does not make the reader aware of the underlying concepts that are involved. It gives enough information, so that the reader only knows what to do and when to do it. On the other hand, SSHE offers the knowlege that can be used to takes one's play to the next level. I believe that SSHE gives the reader the full spectrum of play at small stakes games. Like WLLHE, it explains possible actions one can take in certain scenarios, but unlike WLLHE, it gives in depth explanations about why you are doing what the authors suggest. In other words, the authors make a point to explain the theory that justifies their suggestions. Once the reader puts all these pieces of the puzzle together, he/she will be able to fully understand, as opposed to simply knowing, what to do and why it should be done. I believe that this sort of mental approach can make a person a great player, ready for anything that comes their way. SSHE makes you think much harder than does WLLHE. You really have to exert some mental energy, but in poker, knowlege is definitely power. Anyway, I have to say that I think both of these books are phenommenal. Thank you for sharing your advice and wisdom with the rest of us. We appreciate it.

Phil