PDA

View Full Version : Routine, que no?

The Dude
09-27-2004, 05:55 PM
Party Poker 5-10. This is my first hand at the table, I have no reads.

UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, button calls, SB completes. I check in the BB w/ 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif

Flop: (5.4 SBs) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero bets, MP calls, CO button and SB drop.

Turn: (3.7 BBs) K/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero checks, MP bets, Hero raises, MP 3-bets, Hero caps.

River: (11.7 BBs) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero checks...

Lost Wages
09-27-2004, 06:06 PM
I would have bet the turn hoping he had a king. If I had capped the turn I would have led the river.

Lost Wages

Bigdaddydvo
09-27-2004, 06:14 PM
'fraid ya lost a river bet. i'd lead out there...as a bonus, you might get raised.

The Dude
09-27-2004, 06:14 PM
If I bet the turn he's almost surely folding any non-draw hand w/o a K in it - which he will bet for me anyway. And giving a free card can't cost me the pot.

Lost Wages
09-27-2004, 06:23 PM
If I bet the turn he's almost surely folding any non-draw hand w/o a K in it

What hand does he call the flop and fold the turn?

Lost Wages

zstratt
09-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Don't understand the check on the river if you capped it on the turn. What was your reasoning?

The Dude
09-27-2004, 06:43 PM
I see a lot of players in this game that will call the flop w/ 1 overcard, 2 undercards and a backdoor draw, etc. But then they'll fold on the flop. Also, once checked to, a lot of players will take a shot at the pot when they would have folded to a bet.

jordanx
09-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Bet the river.

It's unlikely he has Kings Full, he probably had KQ, KJ.

I'd call a raise though as opposed to re-raise.

GuyOnTilt
09-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Hey Dude,

You should bet the turn. I'll let others explain. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GoT

The Dude
09-27-2004, 06:48 PM
River: (11.7 BBs) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero checks, MP bets, hero raises, MP calls.

MP shows K9, MHIG.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't understand the check on the river if you capped it on the turn. What was your reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]
After the turn action, he almost surely has a K. I'm pretty sure he was only planning on calling my river bet.

spamuell
09-27-2004, 06:48 PM
It's unlikely he has Kings Full

I think The Dude is trying to check-raise the river. I think it's probably quite good, I don't think a K wants to check behind here and will pay off.

I wouldn't have thought to play the hand this way but The Dude's point about non-K hands on the turn is certainly a good one and once it looks like his opponent has the K then a river c/r is good because a K will likely not raise.

I think this is it anyway.

Gah this post looks silly now, what bad timing. I want GoT to elaborate!

Trix
09-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Given his relative position to you I dont think a K is that likely and I think your turn check will loose bets from 6x, 4x, PPs, flushdraws more often that not without having some kind of read on him.

dejableu
09-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Definitely bet the river. Your opponent's hand screams KQ and there are a ton of players who will check behind in that situation after getting capped on the turn. Nobody is going to believe that after capping the turn, you suddenly were scared by the 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

The Dude
09-28-2004, 05:21 AM
Perhaps betting the turn is the better play. I'm open to that idea. But not check-raising the river? This play seems to work for me better than 80% of the time (that is purely a guess, but my best estimate nontheless). Since I'd only call a raise if I'd bet out, but will call a 3-bet when I check-raise, I think it has to work maybe 60% of the time to be profitable. Do that many of you really think villian is checking behind a K more than 40% of time?

sthief09
09-28-2004, 05:47 AM
I had a few 5/10 hands with you over the summer (I'm assuming it's the same player). I watched them a bunch of times each actually (which is what I do with a lot of people actually). I noticed that you're good at bludgeoning opponents with check-raises on the turn and river. I now check-raise a ton (ask anyone who plays wtih me). I tend to use it indiscriminantly at times, but it's an awesome tool that's really improved my game. Same goes with the bet the flop, then follow through with a turn check-raise that they aren't expecting. Thanks.

The Dude
09-28-2004, 07:10 AM
Yeah, I've become a big fan of putting in a check-raise on a later street after putting in the last bet/ raise on the previous street. Not only does it work frequently, but it confuses the hell out of opponents enough that I think I actually get called down more than if I had just continued to bet - although there's no way to prove that, it's just a hunch.

As a side note, I'm sure it was me. I play under the screen name TheDude2004 on Party, and I do check-raise a bunch on late streets. This is one of the more borderline situations I go for it, though.

The Dude
09-28-2004, 07:11 AM
BTW, I nominate sthief09 as having the best avatar on 2+2.

sthief09
09-28-2004, 07:14 AM
Unfortunately, when I try it live, they just fold a lot of the time. Online, they almost never fold. it's like a check-raise is a challenge for them to show down the crappiest hand possible, which is why I never use it as a bluffing tactic.

Trix
09-28-2004, 08:34 AM
So you do it with missed overcards live ?

sthief09
09-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Well, I'd say I don't bluff enough, but J.R. would call BS on me like the last time I said the same thing.

(the answer is no)

Trix
09-28-2004, 10:19 AM
If he folds, then it rocks, if he dont, then its good for shania :P

tpir90036
09-28-2004, 10:45 AM
I think I would bet every street. Checking the turn worked out for you... but I would hate to see this get checked through or have my check-raise just called when I could have possibly gone for three or at least get a guaranteed one. I love check-raising as much as the next guy.... but with the K's pairing it seems more likely that this gets checked through than not.

Were you trying to check-raise the river too? That is hot like fire if you were...

-tpir

TheHip41
09-28-2004, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fancy play syndrome.

Looks like this time it worked.

sfer
09-28-2004, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I nominate sthief09 as having the best avatar on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Clearly, mine is now best.

dejableu
09-28-2004, 11:23 AM
I guess it depends on the villain. If it's me, I'm checking behind with a lone K every time after that turn...