PDA

View Full Version : Cona O'Brien to take over Tonight Show- in 2009

Dynasty
09-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Conan to Replace Leno in 2009 (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133699,00.html)

I remember all the laughing at Conan O'Brien when he took over Late Night from David Letterman. If he does indeed host the Tonight Show, it will be quite an achievement.

However, Conan shouldn't rest. The mess around the Tonight Show when Johnny Carson announced his retirement could easily come back. Conan isn't supposed to take over for 5 years. Maybe Jay will change his mind.

scotnt73
09-27-2004, 05:03 PM
i remember conans first year sucked. he really turned it around though. he is the only late night show i care for now days. very funny stuff. i usually watch until the first guest comes out before i turn it off and goto sleep.

sfer
09-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Pimp-bot rules.

Toro
09-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Hooray for the hometown boy. Yes, Conan is from that hotbed of Comedy, Worcester, Massachusetts.

Strange though that Leno would announce this so far in advance.

GuyOnTilt
09-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Conan freaking rules! But I miss Andy... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

GoT

Joseph Busti
09-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Chevy Chase should take back over.

Joseph Busti
09-27-2004, 07:25 PM
I'm serious.

BrettK
09-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Conan hasn't been the same since the departure of Richter and the decline in the use of Triumph following the lawsuit. He's been trying way too hard with extremely subpar jokes in recent seasons. It's like watching the decline of Friends all over again. At least he's moving to the right show. Leno sucks.

Brett

brassnuts
09-27-2004, 11:52 PM
"All of the bitches think I'm pretty; bought my face at Circut City."

"It is within my program to decect the hos, and I detect you, ho."

- Pimpbot 5000

Blarg
09-28-2004, 03:46 AM
Conan's great, and it will be nice not to have to stay up till a nutty hour to watch him.

By the way, Triumph's DVD is great! I only wish there had been more of it. They abbreviated a few bits, like when he's savaging Don Rickles, one of the funniest things ever. Still, there is a good amount of content there, and it's great that Triumph's antics are preserved forever now on DVD.

The Dude
09-28-2004, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[Conan]'s been trying way too hard with extremely subpar jokes in recent seasons....
Leno Sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Two of the dumbest comments ever made on 2+2.

ArchAngel71857
09-28-2004, 09:10 AM
I love Conan. I think, however, that he is best suited as the quirky late night, side attraction with his odd, self-depracating humor. I don't know if he will be able to translate this to being a main guy, headliner type. But who knows, everyone couldn't figure out how he got his first show (4th in an essay contest?), and he has done rather well. If anything, it will steal the ratings of all the college kids away from David Letterman.

-AA

Blarg
09-28-2004, 06:44 PM
He showed up to a casting call.

There was a celebrity to interview, Minnie something or other, Tom Cruise's ew-wife from way back, as I recall.

Anyway, the interview was going fine and Conan was obviously personable, but suddenly he really set himself completely apart. Minnie was talking about how modeling was hard work, and Conan nods in a friendly way and agrees, but then just shakes his head and gets some real stones, at the chance of pissing off the celebrity and losing the audition.

"No, no. That's not hard," he said, shaking his head and laughing. He reached up like one of the workers' in that Charlie Chaplin movie with the oppressive factory scenes and made like he was turning a huge wheel with all his strength. "Something like, turning a big crank," he said, grunting and groaning. "THAT's hard!"

His timing, his assertiveness and silliness, and his refusal to just knuckle under to the usual celebrity baloney had the people around who were watching laughing up a storm, and even the actress herself couldn't stop laughing. It's definitely not the kind of thing you're used to from talk show hosts. He was definitely no simpering Arsenio. Yet he was obviously quick and imaginative, and somehow he managed to fearlessly put a celebrity in her place even as a nobody, and do it with enough humor and personableness that the actress wasn't offended at all and seemed to be having a hell of a good time.

He really took command of the situation and startled everyone, and did it with an unusual kind of no-nonsense personality that was still imaginative and fun -- an unusual mix.

Wahoo91
09-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Conan hasn't been the same since the departure of Richter and the decline in the use of Triumph following the lawsuit. He's been trying way too hard with extremely subpar jokes in recent seasons. It's like watching the decline of Friends all over again.

This is true. Conan in the mid-late 90's with Andy was some of the best TV ever. It was like a *good* SNL was on every weekday night.

Since Andy has left Conan has lost something, but I can not put my finger on what exactly. Even though I now have TiVo, I am no longer interested enough to record and watch the show. Its disappointing b/c Conan was one of the reasons I bought the TiVo in the first place.