PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Election events that affected the 2000 Election Outcome

El Barto
09-27-2004, 04:13 PM
This thread is not for the discussion of post-election events, rather I am trying to identify individual events before the 2000 election that made a difference in swinging the election. Events that had they not occured would have left a clear winner to take the election down, instead of a near tie.

Let me start:

1) Clinton/Gore administration sends Elian Gonzalez back to live under Communisim in Cuba. (Gore was making inroads in the Cuban-American community and could have taken Florida easily if Clinton were not so anxious to restore a boy to a life under Communism)

2) Maine politician's October surprise releasing old court records on Bush's DUI (This Democratic dirty trick almost worked, since it cost Bush a bunch of votes)

3) Gore picks Lieberman (Without Joe to turn out the Jewish community in Florida, it wouldn't have been close. Joe had a bigger impact on the vote than Governor JEB did)

andyfox
09-28-2004, 12:01 AM
"Gore picks Lieberman (Without Joe to turn out the Jewish community in Florida, it wouldn't have been close. Joe had a bigger impact on the vote than Governor JEB did)"

This is why I felt Kerry's VP choice was so poor. Edwards will not help him get one electoral vote. Senator Nelson of Florida would have been a much better selection.

Abednego
09-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Clinton was impeached