PDA

View Full Version : Should you do this?

07-16-2002, 05:42 AM
I had a quick thought just before and was wondering if this is a profitable situation?

There are times when you get a couple of people who sit down in a game and they are towards the end or middle positions? They were gone for a while and then they come back in the game and post behind the button.

My question is this?

If even one person posts behind the button having missed their small and big blind, and now commit that to the pot is it profitable to call UTG with any pair, and how low should you starting hand requirements go down.

Let us say that a newbie enters the game and he only posts his Big Blind, behind the button, is it still profitable to call with any pair UTG or in early positions? How low should you starting hand requirements go down?

Assume a typical game.

07-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Mikey,

For me personally it really depends on a number of things.

1. How likely is the poster(s) to raise their post?

2. How likely is another player to raise the dead money in the pot?

3. How many players are thinking like I am and will lower their standards somewhat to be part of a potentially large multi-way pot?

The higher the chances there are of either of 1 or 2 happening, the more often I stick to my normal up front standards. The more likely 3 is the scenario, the more inclined I am to expand the number of hands I potentially play.

ADJUSTMENTS:

A. I am more inclined to play pairs here than other hands such as suited connectors as I feel they are much easier to play after the flop. You usually know where you are in the hand and can expect to flop a set or get out.

B. I will also be inclined to play any Ax suited that also has Broadway or Wheel potential. I am much more inclined to play a hand such as Ax suited that usually will have me drawing to the nuts most of the time.

C. I also may play any two face cards suited.

D. Depending on the aggressivenss of the game, I have been known to occasionally play 9-10 suited if more than 1 person posts. As much as I love the hand, 9-10 suited along with the other suited connectors, is very risky here and can get very expensive to play. You can also never be sure your flush draw is good and this is an uncomfortable feeling that I personally try to avoid. This is why I still muck 9-10 suited and other suited connectors under these circumstances about 80%-90% of the time. Just too risky for my tastes.

Hope this helps.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.

07-16-2002, 12:33 PM
I would be more inclined to raise the hands i usually limp with, not to limp with more hands, especially if i know this player is really tight or really loose (he will ''defend'' his post with almost any 2 cards).

07-16-2002, 06:01 PM
This was discussed recently in mid-stakes. Your approach is incorrect.

When there is additional dead money in the pot due to posted blinds in late position, you should lower your standards for limping. However, your raising standards should remain the same since there are more players in the pot to defend their posts/blinds.

07-16-2002, 06:49 PM
First of all your unsuited hands do NOT go up much in value when in poor position: stick to your standards for them.

Otherwise, the presense of that extra player, I think, WILL encourage more callers so yes, drop your standards for suited hands and small pairs. It also means you should not slow play at all since you do expect to get to the flop.

- Louie