PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Red Sox fans...

nolanfan34
09-27-2004, 01:21 PM
OK Sox fans, I want some reaction on Pedro's comments about the Yankees. Is this some kind of reverse psychology ploy? He basically said he's the Yankees' bitch, and clearly doesn't like playing them. Johnny Damon said the same thing.

So - does this inspire confidence when the playoffs roll around? Or does this Sox team really feel like they can't beat the Yankees? I was surprised to see that this year's 11-8 record against them was the best in many years, so they should feel some confidence.

Discuss.

Toro
09-27-2004, 01:29 PM
I saw his comments in context live on TV as he said them. This was not reverse psychology or a ploy or anything like that. This was just a totally frustrated man telling us exactly how he felt.

At first, I didn't like it at all. But it seems that it hasn't bothered the team at all as they came back nicely to win the next 2 games. And who knows, maybe it will help Pedro mentally if he faces the Yankees in the playoffs this year by taking the pressure off himself by admitting that he can't beat them.

sfer
09-27-2004, 01:48 PM
I saw clips of his comments and with the clearly evident frustration on his face it looked like a man resigned to accepting evidence and reaching a conclusion.

andyfox
09-27-2004, 02:25 PM
The ramblings of a Yankee fan:

Damon and Pedro like to hear themselves talk. Same with Sheffield and Lofton. It means absolutely nothing.

Look at the last two weekends: Weekend 1 the Yankees lose a heartbreaker in the 9th inning with their ace closer on the mound. Damon says it will hurt the Yankees' confidence. Then the Yankees blow them away in the next two games. Second weekend the Red Sox losE another heartbreaker when their manager does something eerily similar to what the previous manager did in, arguably, the most important game in the history of the franchise last year. Demoralizing? They then proceed to blow the Yankees away in the next two games.

Money talks, bullshit walks. The Yankees and Red Sox will have their work cut out for them with their first opponents. Methinks Minnesota and Oakland (assuming Oakland makes it) have better pitching than either the Yankeees or Boston.

Uston
09-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Oakland with better pitching than Boston? Have you seen Mulder's numbers the last few months? To say they're Loaiza-like would be an insult to Loaiza. ERA of nearly six after the All-Star break. Hudson's ERA against Boston is over 15 this season. But, hey, baseball's a crazy game. Oakland should have won at least two or three postseason series in the Beane era. Now watch them win one when they're completely outmatched.

MrFeelNothin
09-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Boston should stop worrying about the Yankees cause they aren't going anywhere against Johan and the Twins with Domefield advantage.

Toro
09-27-2004, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Boston should stop worrying about the Yankees cause they aren't going anywhere against Johan and the Twins with Domefield advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a lock that we'll play the Twinkies. There's only 1 game separating them from the A's. So it could be the Bronx Bombers who have to worry about Santana. Twinkies probably beat NY last year had Santana not pulled the groin.

Uston
09-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Did you mistakenly post this as a reply to me? I never mentioned the Twins once.

BrettK
09-27-2004, 11:03 PM
I can't believe Grady Francona left him in after that home run either (he shouldn't even have started the inning), but let's not forget the two lovely calls at third base during that game. The Umps come to the rescue of the Yanks again.

Major League Baseball is rigged. It *must* be! My proof is a gut feeling and video from two games.

Brett

Toro
10-01-2004, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a lock that we'll play the Twinkies. There's only 1 game separating them from the A's. So it could be the Bronx Bombers who have to worry about Santana. Twinkies probably beat NY last year had Santana not pulled the groin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going into the weekend, sure looks like it's going to be Yankees who have to figure out Santana and the Twins.