PDA

View Full Version : Losing Streaks

ehenry
09-27-2004, 01:15 PM
I have been playing for a little over a year at Party. I have 80k hands in my database. I have won a little over 2k. My question is about losing streaks and how long they last. I mostly play 2-4. I would like to know what other players have experienced. For example in September on the 14th I was up $716 now, on the 26th I am down -$258. During that time I've had 6 winning days and 6 losing days. It's just that the losing days were much bigger. This is a pattern that seems to stay with me. When I lose, I lose much more than I win on the winning days. Does anyone else have similar results.

crockett
09-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Welcome to forums,

There are people more qualified to answer your question but my initial guess is that you are not a good poker player. You are a winning poker player but could be playing better.

This is probably not the answer you expected to hear but the good news is that you are definitely in the right place to improve your game.

You didn’t give a lot of information but if a large majority of your playing has been at 2/4 and you’ve won $2K over 80K hands, it gives you +0.625 BB/100 hands.

Of course any positive number over that many hands is a good thing, I have read that the majority here consider +1BB/100 to be a good player, +2BB/100 to be an excellent player and +3BB/100 to be an outstanding player. These numbers are based on a large hand sample (such as yours). You can’t make these estimates with only a few thousand hands and some think even 10,000 hands doesn’t necessarily mean much.

The excellent news is that you 80K hands under your belt, probably have a very good understanding of the game and have found a group that definitely holds the wisdom to improve your game.

You mention a swing of -250BB. My understanding is that this is not typical at the 2/4 level but definitely not out of the question.