PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Table Home Tournaments...

MyssGuy
09-27-2004, 12:08 PM
I play home tournaments with friends almost every week. Usually a different group each week. The structures are pretty much the same, T1000 chips with blinds starting at 5/10 or 10/20 and doubling every 20 to 30 minutes. There are usually between 20 and 40 guys playing.

My problem/question is this. I usually bubble or end up going out in the middle due to the blinds hitting my stack hard and the lack of hands. With the somewhat quick raising of blinds, if you don't hit hands, what is a player to do? This turns into a lot of no foldem holdem for some and while others are ultra-aggressive with questionable hands.

The no-foldem players will call to the river with bottom pair. I love this, but it's hard to put them on or get them off a hand. I've lost too many times when I flop top pair only to lose on the river when their K4s hits a 4 on the river and beats my AK. (Or they hit their runner-runner straight.) I've learned to watch for flushes, as ATSWD with these players. So I've learned to not overplay hands here and be careful against these players.

Other players are ultra-aggressive. They will call a raise with A3o and simply bet at any pot if they hit or don't hit. I can appreciate this, as it takes balls to do so and they can intimidate others easily. I'd love to get in a hand with these players, but if I miss the flop, I feel like I have to let go of the hand. If I do hit the hand, I let the aggressor "trap" himself. These types of players are the ones that are out quick or get a huge stack to get them to the final table.

But my problem is that, with either "solution" for playing these players, you must have a hand to play. If I don't get the cards, you can't get in the mix. It's frustrating seeing people scoop monster pots when they have terrible cards.

So the question may be, are these tournaments worth it? It seems that it's becoming a crap shoot for who can hit the better cards. Or, should I loosing up my strategy and play a few more hands? But in what situations and against what types of players?

Any thoughts, ideas or criticism welcome.

Potowame
09-27-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't see anything out of the ordinary from a online MTT.

JARID
09-27-2004, 01:33 PM
MyssGuy,

I think these tournaments are very much worth it. First, because they are fun. I assume you derive enjoyment from poker and I assume some of your buddies are playing as well?
Second, in most home poker tourneys the majority of the players are terrible! You should not be shying away from these opportunities. You're not gonna get rich, or make a ton, but you should not be tunred off because you have to play with a bunch of guys that make poor choices.

Here are my home poker tourney rules of thumb.

1. Patience - Being card dead sucks, but you can also fold yourself into pretty good position. The blind structure you described should allow for this. Eventually you will have to play some hands that might be less than optimal(if your really card dead), but patience alone can put you in decent position in these tournies.

2. Very little bluffing - if any. I have found that I get paid off so well on my made hands that it makes no sense to risk bluffs on people that don't know how to get away from hands.

3. Be Aggressive - Not the misguided betting at any pot type of aggression, but

[ QUOTE ]
The no-foldem players will call to the river with bottom pair. I love this, but it's hard to put them on or get them off a hand. I've lost too many times when I flop top pair only to lose on the river when their K4s hits a 4 on the river and beats my AK. (Or they hit their runner-runner straight.) I've learned to watch for flushes, as ATSWD with these players. So I've learned to not overplay hands here and be careful against these players.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems a little weak. I go strong in these instances expecting to get paid off.

Your strategy of letting these aggressive guys trap themselves is good, but you don't have to have the nuts to do it.

I've found there are often weak guys in these games too. You know, the guy who is unsure and doesn't want to be embarrassed by busting out early. You can pick on these types. Warning: These are actually the guys you need to warch out for sometimes. They might have a better hand than you and just not know it if they are real inexperienced, so I tend to check through on the river sometimes if the pot is already sizeable.

To me it just sounds like you had a couple of rough games and are feeling timid. Solid play will win out in most of these games over time.

Hope this helps-
Jarid

SossMan
09-27-2004, 02:11 PM
This looks like just another "I can't beat bad players" post.
A few tips.

Keep the pots smaller both preflop and overbet the pot postflop (when you flop big). They will tend to make decisions based more on the absolute value of the bet rather than the bet in relation to the pot. This will allow them to make the biggest mistake.

Also....don't bluff, or rather, pick good times to bluff. It will be tempting because you know they don't have anything, but they might just call you down w/ that queen high (you don't want to lose to Q high).

most of all just have fun...that's what home games are for.

-SossMan

MyssGuy
09-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. Yes I've ran card dead a few times and I went on tilt my last time. I knew it was coming too, but at that point I didn't care. Almost hoped I would get as lucky as the others seemed to be. However, I am normally a very patient player, but this run of being card dead had irked me somewhat.

I like the idea of being aggressive with my good hands and not being as timid (weak-tight). Against the loose aggressive players, I love the trap move and don't need the nuts to do it. I'm trying not to use moves on these players, but save those for the more experienced players.

Thanks again!