PDA

View Full Version : AKo multiway, badly played?

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)
Playing 7 tables, no reads on the players individually. The table as a whole often has a preflop raise, but rarely a three-bet.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (12.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (21.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 24.16 BB

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-27-2004, 10:02 AM
C'mon, someone's gotta bust my balls over this one.

PokeHer
09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
I dont like the flop bet, though i bet you did so b/c you knew UTG1 would raise, but with the pot already that big, people are not going to fold to a raise as they are still getting about 9 or 10 to 1. I think it is best to check and call there.

I think the rest is ok, but i would bet you lost to trips, likely JJ but possibly KK or AA. If you pulled a win out of your ass and the guy had AJ or QQ, good for you.

crockett
09-27-2004, 11:07 AM
I didn't comment because I don't know. I think this a good post and am surprised more didn't post. Maybe no one is posting because they are just as in the dark as you and me.

My thoughts:

Pre-Flop and Flop: I do the same.

Turn: This is where I get lost. Your looking at 7.5:1 and a good chance you will 3-bet behind you. I'm tempted to fold. But as the hand is being played, I know I would be thinking (O.k. MP just hit two pair, UTG is still betting QQ, so I'll take my shot at my five outer). But, I know this thinking has gotten me in trouble and if I would have just had the discipline to respect others for having a hand better than me I would in the long run save money.

River: Fine, you can't fold now that the pot is this big and raising is just too risky considering all the previous action.

My guess MP2 had KJ or a set and UTG+1 had AA or KK.

I really don't know what to do and hopefully someone with more experience will give a more definate line.

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-27-2004, 12:06 PM
My thinking at the time:

The raise on the flop from UTG+1 meant he had AJ, a pair QQ or better, or a set of Js. The call from MP2 means he has any two cards (it is PP), but in light of the preflop action, probably a strong pair, AK or AQ.

The action on the turn says MP2 has hit a pair with AK, but UTG+1 has either a set of Js, AA or KK (KK unlikely). Given the action so far, my thinking at the time was "Oh, [censored], he has a set. I should fold." So I called. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I hit top two-pair on the river, but don't think its good. I check, because I'm not laying it down and don't want to put two more bets in. Apparently MP2 thought the same.

Results: UTG+1 had a set of Js, MP2 and I had AK. I had them pretty well put on their hands, but still had trouble laying this one down.

Should I have folded to the turn 3-bet? Should I have folded even sooner?

junkmail3
09-27-2004, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Given the action so far, my thinking at the time was "Oh, [censored], he has a set. I should fold." So I called. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great.

Rubeskies
09-27-2004, 12:42 PM
You should have folded instead of calling two cold on the turn. With no reads, you have to think the only capping hands are AK, AA, KK, and QQ. Maybe JJ. If this is correct, there is only one hand you have a chance to beat here (QQ) and one you are splitting with (AK). Given that distribution it is an easy fold considering that it is very possible that you are drawing dead.

With the added chance that MP3 slow-played a set on the flop or 2-pair, this appears to be an easy fold.

Holm Fries
09-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Why 3-bet out of the BB?

StellarWind
09-27-2004, 04:28 PM
The turn is difficult. I understand your problem. But I think you should fold given that you are likely beat in two places with very few outs and probably have to call 3-5 BB to get a showdown.

Betting the flop is silly. What possible purpose does it serve? You don't have the best hand or a good draw. You are not getting anyone to fold a better hand. It's just a waste of money.