PDA

View Full Version : Hatfield's Choice

GWB
09-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Here is a former US Senator who joined Sen. George McGovern in an effort to end the Vietnam War.

He voted against authorizing force in Iraq in 1991.

This is what he says about today's conflict:

Hatfield's choice (http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/inpolitics.htm)

Former Sen. Mark Hatfield, who was an outspoken opponent of the war in Vietnam, says he is a strong supporter of President Bush and the war in Iraq.
"As Oregon's governor, I was the only governor in the nation who refused to sign a statement supporting President Johnson's Vietnam War policy," Mr. Hatfield wrote last week in the Oregonian newspaper.
"As a senator, I joined with Sen. George McGovern in an unsuccessful effort to end that war. I was the only senator who voted against both the Democrat and Republican resolutions authorizing the use of force in the 1991 Gulf War," the Republican said.

"In my final years in the Senate, I opposed President Clinton's decision to send American troops to Bosnia.
"During my 30 years in the Senate, I never once voted in favor of a military appropriations bill.
"I know that this record will cause many to wonder why I am such a strong supporter of President Bush and his policy in Iraq. My support is based on the fact that our world changed on September 11, 2001, a day on which we lost more American lives than we did in the attack on Pearl Harbor.
"I know from my service in the Senate that Saddam Hussein was an active supporter of terrorism. He used weapons of mass destruction on innocent people and left no doubt that he would do so again. It was crucial to the cause of world peace that he be removed from power."

wacki
09-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Wow, good post.