PDA

View Full Version : I just played live for the 2nd time in my life

Eihli
09-27-2004, 02:13 AM
...and I don't want to play online ever again. I played a 2-4-8 game (2 pre, 2 post, 4 turn, 4-8 split on river) Saturday for about 6 hours and the pot was capped preflop 9 ways on 4 occasions. There were at least 3 35+ BB (bb=4) pots. I was lucky enough to win one of them btw /images/graemlins/smile.gif To top it off there was no rake, just a dealer tip of 3-5 based off how big the pot was.

Anyway, what adjustments do I make to my regular 2/4 online game in order to maximize profit in this game. Average of 6.5 people to a the flop for 1.7 bets. Not much bluffing postflop and everyone likes to slowplay their monsters and c/r the river. Lots of action on the flop/turn with underpairs/2ndpairs/draws/any other piece of the flop.

This is what I came up with last night. Play any pair from any position, loosen up my raising/capping requirements with big suited cards since they play well multi-way. Play suited connecters down to 56s from mid-late position if it's not 3 bets to me. Axs from any position. And lastly, Draw a lot more on the turn to nut hands since you are getting better implied odds with the $8 river bet but also call river bets less often with weak hands. I think that's everything, did I make the right changes? And how much do you think this game is beatable for?

Bob T.
09-27-2004, 04:44 PM
To top it off there was no rake, just a dealer tip of 3-5 based off how big the pot was.

I don't want to play live ever again, either. I just want to deal this game /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I don't know about the low suited connectors, in a game that sounds this lively preflop, but when you add in the big river bet, I think that that might be right. All of your adjustments seem reasonable.

I would think that you might be able to beat this game for 3 BBs an hour, especially if you were slightly cheap on the tips.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

jordanx
09-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Wow, sounds like a sweet game.

I'd avoid playing the low suited connectors as you're more likely to lose quite a bit with a second best straight or flush with so many players.

Especially considering the pre-flop action that suggests you would have to pay 2 or 3 bets to see a flop more than average even in mid-late position.

I'd expect you could win 3-4 bb/hr here. You'll likely have a lot of variance though.

beginner
09-27-2004, 05:15 PM
3-4BB per hour is good? I understand that live games play much slower than online games, but $12 an hour profit??? I can make double that at lower limit tables ($1/$2) online. And much more at $2/$4 (although I haven't put enough time into it to have a good per hour average). So I don't know how profitable it is... its much more fun though... I love playing live games, but I would do it for the fun of it more than the earnings...

jordanx
09-27-2004, 05:33 PM
I'd call a BB 6$ in this game.

Live games, especially loose ones, run much slower, so online you could double your throughput and improve by 4 or 5 times by playing 2 tables.

Also, you'd have to play very well to consistently beat this game for 4 BB an hour.

Bob T.
09-27-2004, 05:38 PM
In most LL live games, you lose 3-4 BBs per hour in rake. With the Big river bet, tip only (even if it is a big tip), and poor play, I think that 3-4 BBs is possible even given the slow play that is likely in this game.