PDA

View Full Version : No-Limit Cash Game Opening hands & Strategy

TrueBritt
09-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Can anyone recommend a good no-limit cash game book that would be useful for loose games? I particulary need advice on my starting cards. What hands should I play?

Is there any good cash game software out there?

Thanks.

Jonny
09-26-2004, 07:57 PM
I'll name them right here:

limp with all pocket pairs
Limp with decent suited connectors (65+)
Limp unsuiteds- must be KQ, AQ, AK, sometimes AJ depending on position
Fold JQo, and JTo
Raise with JJ-AA, AK, AQs, AQo, depending on position and other factors

TrueBritt
09-26-2004, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll name them right here:

limp with all pocket pairs
Limp with decent suited connectors (65+)
Limp unsuiteds- must be KQ, AQ, AK, sometimes AJ depending on position
Fold JQo, and JTo
Raise with JJ-AA, AK, AQs, AQo, depending on position and other factors

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I call a raise with all those?

What about Axs?

The4thFilm
09-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Axs is CRAP. You'll fall in love with it when AXX hits and will end up getting owned.

Jonny
09-26-2004, 09:52 PM
try to keep Axs to a multiway pot, or if u have position on 2 people (button usually). Also, you have to be able to lay down top pair if ur gonna play that.

TrueBritt
09-26-2004, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try to keep Axs to a multiway pot, or if u have position on 2 people (button usually). Also, you have to be able to lay down top pair if ur gonna play that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So its okay to see a raise with Axs, KQ, and 65s?

Justin A
09-26-2004, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So its okay to see a raise with Axs, KQ, and 65s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you're talking about small buy-in games. If that's the case, all of these hands should almost never be played for a raise.

These hands are usually not very good even if you limp with them if the buy in is 50 big blinds. If the buy in is 100 big blinds, you can start to play hands like 65s when you're in late position and you get in cheap. However, these hands are tricky to play and are probably not profitable for a beginner.

Remember that big unsuited cards are trouble in no limit. Hands like ATo and KJo are crap. ATs and KJs are better, but you still need to get in cheap.

Justin A

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-26-2004, 10:15 PM
? i make tons of money on Axs

Key West
09-26-2004, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been lucky. Unless you flop a fourflush then expect to lose on all other boards against any more than 3 opponents calling pre-flop.

tabish
09-26-2004, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Axs can win plenty of hands, even if you don't flop a flush draw. But it's hard to know where you stand if you just flop top pair... a lot of players will play any ace pretty strongly when there's an ace on the flop. The danger is that you get married to that ace and call bets despite knowing that you're likely outkicked. If you're capable of folding top pair, then it can be a profitable hand, but if not you'll tend to lose pretty big pots when you're outkicked.

Zim
09-26-2004, 10:41 PM
http://www.kleptic.com/poker/nlhands.html

It`s a little tight, but essentially you should only play pocket pairs and AK as a beginner.

Maybe AQ in late position.

Play about 4 tables, and read a book while you wait for your hands.

Best,
Invader Zim

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-27-2004, 04:33 AM
I have plenty of hands in PT to show that limping around w/ any Axs is very profitable. What is your VPIP? you sound weak-tight to me.

pilamsolo
09-27-2004, 05:28 AM
That's a good site.

Can't remember who said it first, but I think the best advice for a beginner is:
"Never call a raise without AK or a pair."

As you progress of course you can play more hands, but the easiest way to lose your bankroll is to call raises with hands like AQ, A10, KJ, JQ, etc and get married to top pair. That stuff's for the fish.

-Solo

Ghazban
09-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Axs is definitely a profitable hand from late position. I won't usually play it up front but in the last 3 seats, its very easy to play. Sitting there, you can pick up a lot of pots semi-bluffing the flop when its checked to you and there are 2 of your suit on the board. Furthermore, I find its easy to get paid off in the back positions because, when the flush completes and its checked to you, your bet will often not be taken seriously by the other players in the hand.

Playing it up front is horrible, though, unless x is a ten or better because its very hard to see where you stand and its very hard to get called when you bet the made flush from EP because the chances of you bluffing it through other players are much smaller than if you're last to act and its checked around.

Its not my favorite hand, but if I can limp with it in a multiway pot with position, I always will.

Key West
09-27-2004, 08:23 PM
I think you just like to say "weak-tight" because it makes you feel smart and superior. Weak-tight has less to do with hand selection and more to do with playing against a raised pot when you have outs.

Tom22
09-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Wow, this website would value 22 more than AQ. That an eye opener for me. I guess the pocket pair are better because of the possibility of floping a set.

Which of group hands would one raise with say in middle position if there are no raises in front him?

Thanks for the help.