PDA

View Full Version : Peyton after two quarters...

Ed Miller
09-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Peyton Manning 23-31 319 yards 5 TD 0 INT 146.4 Rating
Sacked-Yards Lost: P. Manning 0-0.

Wow.

JTrout
09-26-2004, 06:17 PM
He's amazing.

He will remain the best player in the NFL until Eli takes the title.

and the Saints won, too!

Ed Miller
09-26-2004, 06:32 PM
and the Saints won, too!

Who dat! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sooga
09-26-2004, 06:33 PM
that 'newlywed game' spoof with warner and ali is hilarious

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-26-2004, 06:50 PM
He will remain the best player in the NFL until Eli takes the title.

Pretty hard to do since he's not even the best QB.

Clarkmeister
09-26-2004, 06:55 PM
Exactly.

Add in the fact that he is the President of the I Come Up Small in Hugely Important Games club.

JTrout
09-26-2004, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty hard to do since he's not even the best QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. And it's not close.

Ed Miller
09-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Add in the fact that he is the President of the I Come Up Small in Hugely Important Games club.

I liked it better when we were talking about how the Saints won today.

Clarkmeister
09-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Favre's stat line is virtually identical to Mannings at this moment.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Really? How many Championships? What's his career record in OT (bet he can't beat 8-0)?

What's his career record do-or-die withing 2 minutes? Bet he can't come close to 12-1.

Fantasy football stats don't mean anything in the *real* NFL

Come back with that claim after the Colts win a big game.

And by the way, the best player in the NFL is Ray Lewis.

HDPM
09-26-2004, 07:13 PM
How 'bout the Wyoming Cowboys tho? You over that one yet? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[Just to clarify - this is re: JTrout's post]

Clarkmeister
09-26-2004, 07:17 PM
"And by the way, the best player in the NFL is Ray Lewis. "

Correct again!

You, sir, are on a roll today.

ThaSaltCracka
09-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Back to the Brady love fest I see Kurn.

ThaSaltCracka
09-26-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the best player in the NFL is Ray Lewis.

[/ QUOTE ] why is he the best?

sam h
09-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Good to see that Tony has done everything possible in the second half to see whether they could still lose this game. Don't let Peyton keep throwing or anything, just make sure you take 2 minutes off the clock every possession by going 3 and out on the ground.

Tony Dungy vs. Mike Sherman. What a battle of wits.

Clarkmeister
09-26-2004, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the best player in the NFL is Ray Lewis.

[/ QUOTE ] why is he the best?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the best defensive player in the history of the NFL, and he's in his prime.

JTrout
09-26-2004, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How 'bout the Wyoming Cowboys tho? You over that one yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for bringing that up /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I've been trying to forget about it!
Ole Miss is proving every week this year just how damn valuable Eli was!

ThaSaltCracka
09-26-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's the best defensive player in the history of the NFL, and he's in his prime.

[/ QUOTE ] Does that make him the best? Is defense that valuable in the NFL?

Clarkmeister
09-26-2004, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Does that make him the best? Is defense that valuable in the NFL?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's won the last 4 Super Bowls. It's more important than offense. That gets proven time and time again. I mean, are you even serious?

IrishHand
09-26-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does [being the best defensive player in NFL history and being in his prime] make him the best?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Is defense that valuable in the NFL?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

JTrout
09-26-2004, 07:34 PM
I bet Baltimore would trade Lewis for Manning.
I know the Colts would not.

Manning is the best. Sorry if you can't believe it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

scalf
09-26-2004, 07:38 PM
/images/graemlins/cool.gif jeff garcia actually achieved a qb rating of 0 yes zero last week...happens not very often..

so much for regression to the mean..

lol

gl

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

JTrout
09-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Favre's stat line is virtually identical to Mannings at this moment.

Yes. Favre is a great QB. And he had a GREAT day.
And still it wasn't enough to overcome the MVP of the league.

Clarkmeister
09-26-2004, 07:41 PM
I'd note that both Trent Dilfer and Ray Lewis have a Superbowl win to their credit. Manning can't even get out of the AFC and he's had tons of talent around him.

Clarkmeister
09-26-2004, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And he had a GREAT day.
And still it wasn't enough to overcome the MVP of the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

You talking about that Week 1 loss to the Patriots again?

Talk to me when Manning has as many Superbowl titles as Trent Dilfer.

scalf
09-26-2004, 07:44 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif trout..??

what would be the over/under of how many times the announcers mentioned brett farve in his next home game; and what would be the ov/un of how many times it is mentioned that farve has "battled back" from personal problems and alcohol/substance abuse??

gl

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

JTrout
09-26-2004, 07:52 PM
I haven't said who has the best team.
I haven't said who has had the best teams in the past.

I'm talking about the best player in the NFL, Peyton Manning! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nothumb
09-26-2004, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Manning can't even get out of the AFC and he's had tons of talent around him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a good defensive team knocked his punk ass out of the playoffs.

Defense wins championships. Defense wins championships. Defense wins championships. How often does it need to be said?

Ray Lewis is one bad dude.

NT

Clarkmeister
09-26-2004, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't said who has the best team.
I haven't said who has had the best teams in the past.

I'm talking about the best player in the NFL, Peyton Manning!

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what again?

One could easily argue he's had the best team in the NFL on two separate occasions yet blew both playoff games due SOLEY to his personal shittiness in big games. Man, he looked like the best player in the league vs. the Pats in January last year didn't he? Or was he the one turning the ball over at every opportunity? Ah, now I remember. Shades of Tennessee vs. Florida.

One certainly can't argue that along with the Rams, he has consistantly had the best weapons surrounding him, and he's still done nothing with it. He's by far the biggest underachiever and disappointment in the NFL today.

JTrout
09-26-2004, 08:03 PM
That must be some mighty good dope you're smoking.

ThaSaltCracka
09-26-2004, 08:05 PM
you are grouchy today, I was just asking a question.

bugstud
09-26-2004, 08:06 PM
His Oline has often been makeshift and his defense atrocious. I don't think it's all his fault.

HDPM
09-26-2004, 10:29 PM
Ah, he just wasn't crithp. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

adios
09-27-2004, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that one. As far as linebackers I can think of a lot of great ones through the years. It would seem almost impossible to prove that anyone is the best linebacker of all time let alone best defensive player of all time.

adios
09-27-2004, 01:24 AM
This was a function more of the Packers horrid secondary (a secondary with a lot of injuries in all fairness but not that good even when healthy) and a poor defensive scheme.

Daliman
09-27-2004, 05:37 AM
I think you're referring to the Stats of Tom Brady, and if so, yer WAY wrong.

Brady's good, but Manning is First Ballot Hall of fame. Brady doesn't even have NEAR the stats/accolades of Kurt Warner, and the championship thing, while nice is WAY overrated.
Marino- Zero championships.
Favre- One championship
Tarkenton-Zero championships
Moon- Zero championships

Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer BOTH have as many Chamionships of the preceding 4 QB's considered all time greats.

How Many "Big Games" did Elway win before Terrell came around? Was he not a "big game player" before then. I'd yake his 2 minute execution vs Brady or ANYONE, anytime.

Priest Holmes is the best player in the NFL, Followed closely by Ray lewis, btw.

Actually, scratch that, Lewis IS the best, But Priest is more valuable.

ANd the best fantasy QB by far is Daunte Culpepper.

Daliman
09-27-2004, 05:47 AM
Tell ya what, Clark and Kurn. I like Brady ALOT, but since you seem to be heading up the Brady for Prez fan club round these parts, I have a proposition for you.

I'll bet you any amount you name and I can afford that Manning will be in the Hall of Fame as early or earlier in Eligibility as TOm Brady.

Ya, it's long term, but i like my guaranteed winners any way they come.

Daliman
09-27-2004, 05:49 AM
Reigning, Co-MVP Peyton Manning;

[ QUOTE ]
He's by far the biggest underachiever and disappointment in the NFL today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wither thine credibility, Clarky?

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-27-2004, 05:56 AM
Listen, Salt, if you take Brady's OT record and do-or-die record, that's 4 wins per season attributable to Brady's ability to *get the job done*. None of that has anything to do with the Patriot's defense or the overall composition of the team.

Add to that the fact that in the two Super Bowl years, he had arguably the least talented running backs and wide receivers in his division and it's clear to people who understand football (like Bill Walsh) that the difference in NE being just another playoff caliber team and winning two championships is the quarterback.

Show me another QB in the NFL who, over a 3-year period, when faced with under 2 minutes remaining in a game and his team must score to avoid a loss, has been successful over 92% of the time.

I'm not saying Manning isn't talented, but all the passing yards in the world don't compare to that one stat. Manning isn't as clutch *with* Marvin Harrison as his go-to guy. Ley's trade Harrison for David Givens and see how Peyton's stats look.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-27-2004, 06:00 AM
Did you watch the Giants-Ravens Super Bowl? Did you see Collins' Nancy-girl slide 2 yards short of a key first down because he saw Ray Lewis 7 yards in front of him?

Not only is he an intimidating hitter, he's never out of position (unlike the most over-rated player in the game, Junior Seau), *and* he's the best the best pass-defender of any linebacker who's ever played.

bugstud
09-27-2004, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you watch the Giants-Ravens Super Bowl? Did you see Collins' Nancy-girl slide 2 yards short of a key first down because he saw Ray Lewis 7 yards in front of him?

Not only is he an intimidating hitter, he's never out of position (unlike the most over-rated player in the game, Junior Seau), *and* he's the best the best pass-defender of any linebacker who's ever played.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to call BS on the last statement, there are a lot of WLB's that are better in pass coverage, if you want to say he intimidates guys over the middle then say that. Frankly, I'm not on the Ray Lewis is god bandwagon, I think he's getting too much credit in comparison to the past LB's.

ArchAngel71857
09-27-2004, 09:42 AM

What about Lawrence Taylor?

-AA

P.S. the answer to the inevitable question Taylor vs. Lewis would be like Chris Farley's answer to Bears vs. Bulls during the SNL superfan skit.

P.P.S. Manning is not the best player in the league. 1) Super Bowls = 0. 2) 4th Quarter comebacks? Big games? playoffs? 3) if you want to play the fantasy angle, I know of at least one QB that should be taken higher than him = Culpepper. And if McNabb stays on the pace he is, then McNabb. 4) Co-MVP. PEYTON MANNING IS SO GREAT BECAUSE HE WON THE MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which he shared with Steve McNair. So by that argument, you would have to say that McNair and Manning are the best players in the leauge. As much as I love McNair, that just isn't true. Manning is very, very, good, but he is not the best player in the NFL.

JTrout
09-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Tom Brady should get down on his knees and thank God for the "tuck rule" every day.

Clarkmeister
09-27-2004, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What about Lawrence Taylor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, but I put him 2nd. I wouldn't get in a tizzy with anyone who put LT first, though I would disagree slightly.

Clarkmeister
09-27-2004, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell ya what, Clark and Kurn. I like Brady ALOT, but since you seem to be heading up the Brady for Prez fan club round these parts

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm haven't mentioned Brady once. I have said that Ray Lewis is the best player in the NFL (and I agree with whoever said that Priest Holmes was the second best), and I have said that Manning is an underachiever and neither the best player in the NFL, nor the best QB.

Clarkmeister
09-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Manning isn't in the same stratosphere as Elway. Elway carried very mediocre teams with few weapons (the three amigos? LOL) to three Superbowls on his own. And it wasn't Elway who lost those Superbowls, it was the miserable Denver defense. The fact that he made it there 3 tims was simply amazing.

Manning lost in the first round (after the bye) the year they had home field (inexcusable). He was 0-3 in playoff games prior to last year (IIRC he was favored in all of them). He singlehandedly destroyed the Colts last year vs the Pats with his 4 turnovers in a game where his defense gave him every chance to win.

Not counting James' injury year, he's had a top 5RB and top 2WR on his team on a consistent basis, weapons Elway and Marino never had.

I mean, its not like he is getting to the Superbowl and losing, he's losing before even getting that far.

And have I mentioned how many National Championships he cost Tennessee because of his inability to beat Florida (which Tee Martin did the year after he left)? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

And Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer had Lawrence Taylor and Ray Lewis. That's kind of the point. LT and Ray Lewis.

Clarkmeister
09-27-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tom Brady should get down on his knees and thank God for the "tuck rule" every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Florida fans thank Tennessee for recruiting Peyton Manning every day. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

adios
09-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Are you saying that the Ravens wouldn't have won their Super Bowl if they had Manning? I sincerely doubt that that's true.

Your argument seems to be that since Peyton hasn't been on a championship team he's overrated. To be honest I'm not a great Peyton Manning fan but I can think of many teams that has had great defenses that if the Colts had as good of a defense as some of those teams, Manning would probably have been on a championship team already. The Colts defense sucks and has sucked. Even the legendary Joe Montanna played on teams that had excellent defenses. Therefore I don't necessarily think that not playing on championship teams doesn't make you the best player.

If the Colts had Ray Lewis would they win a championship? I doubt it. An old cliche but it's a team game and one great, great player can't carry 10 relatively mediocre to poor performers.

Clarkmeister
09-27-2004, 12:19 PM
But it wasn't the Indy defenses that cost them the games that they lost. It was Manning. That's the point.

Elway, by comparison, not only lost the big ones because of his defense, he was able to carry his defense into the big one.

adios
09-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Ok then the stuff about Hostettler, Dilfer, and Lewis is a non sequiter.

JTrout
09-27-2004, 01:09 PM
say it with me..... M.... V.... P... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Clarkmeister
09-27-2004, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
say it with me..... M.... V.... P... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are forgetting the "C", the "O" and the "-".

JTrout
09-27-2004, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are forgetting the "C", the "O" and the "-".

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

I'm talking about this year. (and next year, and...)

holeplug
09-27-2004, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tell ya what, Clark and Kurn. I like Brady ALOT, but since you seem to be heading up the Brady for Prez fan club round these parts

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm haven't mentioned Brady once. I have said that Ray Lewis is the best player in the NFL (and I agree with whoever said that Priest Holmes was the second best), and I have said that Manning is an underachiever and neither the best player in the NFL, nor the best QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think LaDainian Tomlinson is the best RB in the NFL right now. But since he plays for San Diego no one ever talks about him.

PhatTBoll
09-27-2004, 02:41 PM
The problem with evaluating the "greatness" of invididual players is that it invariably requires that we look at a career as a package, rather than as a collection of discreet events (games).
Does Manning have a history of coming up short in big games? Of course. Is he beginning to show improvement in big games? Absolutely. Nobody has even mentioned the Tampa Monday night game last year. Down 3 touchdowns, with 4 minutes left, on the road, against the undefeated, defending Super bowl champs, and he led them back to victory. The first playoff game against Denver: faced with a team that had just waxed them two weeks earlier, he turns in an almost flawless performance. The second playoff game against KC: another flawless performance that almost went to waste because of Indy's flummoxed defense and special teams coverage. And then the New England game, where the officials decided that the rules should stop applying to the Pats defensive backs.
None of the Peyton-bashers has even mentioned these games, except the NE game which tends to prove their point. Do the first three games I discussed even enter into the calculus? Or do they get tossed out because they don't support your opinion?

As for the argument that Peyton has been surrounded by so much talent and hasn't gotten the job done...Did it ever occur to you that the main reason why Marvin has gotten so much credit for being such a great receiver is that he has Peyton Manning throwing him the ball? Have you even considered that?

A final assignment for the Peyton-bashers:

Reconcile these statements:

1. Defense wins championships.

2. Over the course of Peyton Manning's career, the Colts' defense has been below average.

3. Peyton Manning is not a great quarterback because he has not won a championship.

4. Peyton Manning does not play defense.

Let's hear it.

Clarkmeister
09-27-2004, 02:47 PM
LT is right behind Priest and on a par with Moss for the #3 slot IMO.

Toro
09-27-2004, 03:05 PM
You make some pretty good points for an academic argument. But the bottom line is that in that AFC championship game vs. the Patriots last year he threw 4, I repeat 4 interceptions.

If he continues to perform like that in big playoff games he will never get to, let alone win a Super Bowl and if that failure is directly attributable to him (and I think it is if he throws 4 intys), he can never be considered one of the all time greats.

PhatTBoll
09-27-2004, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You make some pretty good points for an academic argument. But the bottom line is that in that AFC championship game vs. the Patriots last year he threw 4, I repeat 4 interceptions.

If he continues to perform like that in big playoff games he will never get to, let alone win a Super Bowl and if that failure is directly attributable to him (and I think it is if he throws 4 intys), he can never be considered one of the all time greats.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point wasn't that last year's AFC championship game shouldn't be considered. Of course it should, and he played badly. But none of the arguments against him has even mentioned the big games where he played well, which have occurred more often over the past couple years.

If you are evaluating a player's overall greatness, aren't you required to consider the games where he played well? That's what I was getting at in that part of my post.

Daliman
09-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Didn't the NFL specifically change the receiver coverage rule due to the Pats coverage tactics in this game?

and, to the poster who mentioned his comeback vs the Bucs last year; well done

Does Brady have a comeback CLOSE to that?

Why wasn't brady so great in 2002, when his team didn't even make the playoffs?

Toro
09-27-2004, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't the NFL specifically change the receiver coverage rule due to the Pats coverage tactics in this game?

and, to the poster who mentioned his comeback vs the Bucs last year; well done

Why wasn't brady so great in 2002, when his team didn't even make the playoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. No, the rule was not changed at all. The rule is exactly the same as always. But in response to some serious whining by the Colts, the NFL has diredcted officials to enforce this rule more strictly. This is already turning out to be quite a farce in a lot of games this year where fouls are called on phantom and ticky tack touches.

2. Brady doesn't have a single comeback as dramatic as that one but he has numerous(I'm too lazy to research it) comeback victories and I believe he is something like 8-0 in overtime games.

3. Asking why Brady wasn't so great in 2002 is really disingeuous. He was Super Bowl MVP in 2001, in 2002 the Pats were 9-7 and missed the playoffs on the 3rd tie breaker and he was Super Bowl MVP in 2003. I think a lot of NFL quarterbacks would be envious of that record.

Daliman
09-27-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Asking why Brady wasn't so great in 2002 is really disingeuous. He was Super Bowl MVP in 2001, in 2002 the Pats were 9-7 and missed the playoffs on the 3rd tie breaker and he was Super Bowl MVP in 2003. I think a lot of NFL quarterbacks would be envious of that record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurt Warner has been Superbowl MVP once AND league MVP twice in the last 5 years. Want him?

PhatTBoll
09-27-2004, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The rule is exactly the same as always. But in response to some serious whining by the Colts, the NFL has diredcted officials to enforce this rule more strictly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly.

A. Do you really think the AFC championship game was well officiated?

B. Do you really think the Indianapolis Colts have some kind of special power that allows them to affect the rules?

The Raiders sure bitched a lot about the tuck rule, but it didn't change.

Toro
09-27-2004, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The rule is exactly the same as always. But in response to some serious whining by the Colts, the NFL has diredcted officials to enforce this rule more strictly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly.

A. Do you really think the AFC championship game was well officiated?

B. Do you really think the Indianapolis Colts have some kind of special power that allows them to affect the rules?

The Raiders sure bitched a lot about the tuck rule, but it didn't change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whining about the officiating is a losers mentality. Bottom line is the Patriots won 2 Super Bowls in 3 years with a guy that most Patriot fans wouldn't trade for anyone. We see the guy week in and week out for every play and we know how lucky we are have him.

PhatTBoll
09-27-2004, 04:43 PM
You completely ignored my questions. You said the emphasis on the rules was changed because the Colts whined about the officiating. You responded to my post by saying something along the lines of "Tom Brady is the best." Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I wouldn't want to get rid of a 2-time superbowl winning QB either. But I never said anything about Brady.

Bottom line: the emphasis on the rules was realigned because some impartial observers in the league office realized that there were some ridiculous non-calls in that game. Any number of columnists who are not Colts fans had this reaction to that game. The only columnists I have read that thought that game was called well are Boston folks (read: Bill Simmons).

Toro
09-27-2004, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You completely ignored my questions. You said the emphasis on the rules was changed because the Colts whined about the officiating. You responded to my post by saying something along the lines of "Tom Brady is the best." Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I wouldn't want to get rid of a 2-time superbowl winning QB either. But I never said anything about Brady.

Bottom line: the emphasis on the rules was realigned because some impartial observers in the league office realized that there were some ridiculous non-calls in that game. Any number of columnists who are not Colts fans had this reaction to that game. The only columnists I have read that thought that game was called well are Boston folks (read: Bill Simmons).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still whining.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Let's say they each play 10 more years and are eligible 5 years after that. That's 15 years from now.

OK, providing neither of them suffers a serious injury before age 33 and we both are still alive when the first one is inducted, you're on for $10,000.

Clarification: TOM Brady & PAYTON Manning.

nolanfan34
09-27-2004, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't have a comeback when your team is ahead the whole game.

This whole Peyton vs. Brady thing is crazy. Players and teams are measured by one thing and one thing only - championships. Period.

I don't care what Manning does, and what stats he puts up. If he doesn't win the Super Bowl, his career is incomplete. He'll then be relegated to Marino status and not Montana status. Great QB, never won the big one.

And JTrout, you think league MVP means anything? Please, Manning would trade any MVP award for a ring in a nanosecond.

The MVP of the league is Bill Belichek. Somehow he's navigated the salary cap and draft the past few years, and built a championship TEAM that doesn't depend on any one player. In this day and age in the NFL, this is going to prove to be extremely rare.

PhatTBoll
09-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Meh. When somebody stops addressing my arguments and accuses me of whining, I consider that a point in my favor. Hooray for me.

J.R.
09-27-2004, 05:40 PM

Bottom line: the emphasis on the rules was realigned because some impartial observers in the league office realized that there were some ridiculous non-calls in that game.

There are only 8 members of the the NFL Competition Committee, the group responsible for this renewed emphasis on illegal contact, wonder if Bill Polian is one?

Actually, there was allegedly complaining from a number of coaches around the league about grabbing and holding according to a survey commissioned by the competition committee as well as a study that showed passing yards declined by 10 yards per game (212 to 202) between 2002 and 2003. I mean 10 yards over such a statistically significant period of time and anonymous complaints by "a number of" coaches, holy cow, I am sure the colts had nothing to do with this very needed rule change!

PhatTBoll
09-27-2004, 05:50 PM
ok. Then explain to me how they unilaterally perpetuated this nefarious fraud upon the public.

Daliman
09-27-2004, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say they each play 10 more years and are eligible 5 years after that. That's 15 years from now.

OK, providing neither of them suffers a serious injury before age 33 and we both are still alive when the first one is inducted, you're on for $10,000.

Clarification: TOM Brady & PAYTON Manning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, Kurn; From what I think I know about you, us BOTH being alive ~15 years from now is the toughest caveat on here. I'm 34 and a sprightly 155lbs.

I believe I've seen you're pushing 50 hard, pushing 3 baloons harder(maybe from the wrong direction...), and just as likely to bite it wiping out on your Harley or having a heart attack after shagging a honey in Sturgis as you are to be around in 15.

If I have you mischaracterized above, substitute "ejDo" for "harley", and "be'Hom" and "Qo'noS" for "honey" and "Sturgis".

Otherwise, I'm down for the bet. Obviously, the logistics would have to be worked out, but I'm sure you wouldn't lay'Ha on me...

J.R.
09-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Who said anything about unilateral? You're being very disingenuous in suggesting that this was an impartial decision which the colts, as an organization, had nothing to do with. There is no shame in admitting Bill Polian was a significant factor in this renewed emphasis (regardless of his PR statements to the contrary), as well Rich McKay, and coaches like Mike Martz, Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren who, amongst others, vociferously supported this renewed emphasis as well.

Toro
09-27-2004, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh. When somebody stops addressing my arguments and accuses me of whining, I consider that a point in my favor. Hooray for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you think you are? A special prosecutor or something?
I addressed all your supposed arguments once point by point. If you didn't get it the first time I'm not going to allow a cross examination. Unless of course you have suppena powers.

PhatTBoll
09-27-2004, 06:17 PM
ok, maybe you caught me out on a limb a little bit. But keep in mind I was responding to a poster who had just claimed that the emphasis was changed solely because of the Colts' "whining." I apologize if my response to your post came off as crass.

Toro
09-27-2004, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Asking why Brady wasn't so great in 2002 is really disingeuous. He was Super Bowl MVP in 2001, in 2002 the Pats were 9-7 and missed the playoffs on the 3rd tie breaker and he was Super Bowl MVP in 2003. I think a lot of NFL quarterbacks would be envious of that record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurt Warner has been Superbowl MVP once AND league MVP twice in the last 5 years. Want him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Over Brady, no. But before he hurt his hand, yes, I would take Kurt Warner on my team. Btw, he hasn't looked too shabby the last two weeks.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-27-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm 53 & could stand to drop 50 lb. So, yeah, the actuarial tables favor you. On the other hand there's no history of coronary disease in my family and my cholesterol has never been higher than 150. Knowing my family history, the smart money's on cancer to do me in at around 70, so give or take a couple of years on my time clock or the QB's retirement date, I may get to collect (or pay off).

By the way, the bet is who gets in quickest after retirement, not just who gets in 1st. Otherwise it's a sucker bet since Manning's older and likely to be eligible before Brady.

JTrout
09-27-2004, 10:15 PM
And JTrout, you think league MVP means anything?

yes. something.

Please, Manning would trade any MVP award for a ring in a nanosecond.

I'm sure you are correct on this point.

The MVP of the league is Bill Belichek.

you're off track here. the "P" stands for player! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Players and teams are measured by one thing and one thing only - championships. Period

He'll then be relegated to Marino status and not Montana status. Great QB, never won the big one.

These statements are contradictory. How can you become "great" if you are measured by one thing, and one thing only, and you didn't achieve it? (The answer: you are measured by more than one thing.)

Daliman
09-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Yep, strictly based on eligibility. So if BOTH get in first year/ballot, it's a tied bet. Again, we'd have to iron specifics, but otherwise, yer on.

Daliman
09-28-2004, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 53 & could stand to drop 50 lb. So, yeah, the actuarial tables favor you. On the other hand there's no history of coronary disease in my family and my cholesterol has never been higher than 150. Knowing my family history, the smart money's on cancer to do me in at around 70, so give or take a couple of years on my time clock or the QB's retirement date, I may get to collect (or pay off).

By the way, the bet is who gets in quickest after retirement, not just who gets in 1st. Otherwise it's a sucker bet since Manning's older and likely to be eligible before Brady.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you Kurn, i spend 20 minutes searching for a Klingon Dictionary, and you don't even acknowledge it.

Hab SoSlI' Quch!