PDA

View Full Version : RGP Challenge

06-29-2002, 06:24 AM
I think we've been challenged. From an RGP post:

"further, i'll put RGP's "top five" posters/respondent's thinking against 2+2's

"top five" any day, in theory and at the table.

if the duel was at the actual poker table, i'll even give you odds. in actual playing skill, (as you say), it isnt even close."

Theoretically speaking of course, what would be the best way to settle a possible dispute at the tables? A team heads-up tournament is all I can think of. Five players from each team buy-in for $xx, each person plays each member of the opposing team once. A point for each win and at the end the team with the most points divvies up the cash?

Surely such a thing must be possible to arrange what with online poker sites and all.

Childish, but fun.

06-29-2002, 08:01 AM
I don't mean to take the wind out of the sails, so to speak, but I don't think in these terms.

If my memory is right, we started this site in 1996. In the beginning, we were't even sure if we would get any posters. But we did. It is now over six years later, and we currently have 19 forums (with forum #20 on the Psychology of Poker hopefully on the way).

I don't view RGP as an entity that we need to compete with, and I'm saddened when the attack Two Plus Two Posts appear over there. Since the inception of this site, we have always had a link to RGP because we feel that it has value.

Somehow, our site has evolved differently from what we see on RGP. All of those involved with Two Plus Two have tried to keep the exchange of information focused on good poker and other related topics, and the people participating here have just been great. I believe we all benefit.

So let's forget the competitiveness between Two Plus Two and RGP, especially since many of us read and post in both places. And thanks again to all of you who have participated here and contributed to making www.twoplustwo.com (http://www.twoplustwo.com) far better than we ever thought was possible.

Best wishes,

Mason

06-29-2002, 09:36 AM
I agree with all you said above Mr. Malmuth. There are some great poker minds over there and it's a shame they won't post here.

My post was mostly in jest, but in fact I am curious to know how a group skill "dispute" could be settled, irregardless of which two groups may be involved. I can think of no way that would ever "prove" Group A plays better poker than Group B.

Best of luck to you, Billy (LTL)

06-29-2002, 12:05 PM
I occasionally visit RGP. I find this site superior to RGP for several reasons. However, I do agree with Mason, lets forget about the competiveness between the two sites.

Although Mason answered in a suprisingly humble manner. He knows this site offers much more knowledge than RGP.

First and foremost this site has much better content. How many times do we have to read about David Sklanskys alleged cheating. To me it has no value. If David Sklansky cheated, good for him, or shame on him. What Sklansky or any other "name"player has done in the past has no bearing on my life or how I play cards. Chances are I will never sit at the same table, let alone the same card room as these alleged cheats.

Second of all Two Plus Two has a much better format to follow. I have a much easier time reading the information on this site than I do at RGP.

In summation, I say lets all just get along.If anyone has anything meaningful to add this site, please do so. Lets leave gossip in the washroom where it belongs. If I want to read about how Jennifer Harmon has allegedly cheated players at a $200-$400 game I will go to RGP. When I have a question on a certain hand and I need advice from world class players I will post here.

Best Wishes

MK

06-29-2002, 01:38 PM
Now, if we can just lure Lederer and Negreanu here, this forum would be even more superior.

06-29-2002, 05:22 PM
I often check out RGP since I work full time and can't watch soaps during the day. I also spend a lot of time here when my mindset is to actually improve my game.

I find it funny that people always say that you have to wade through the rubbish to find the one or two gems on RGP. So far, I haven't found any. There's a lot of tedious EV calculations there, but, for the most part, very little poker talk. Daniel is the only one who posts hands that you have to think about, and his respondants, if they don't settle down into some cheating or other off topic thread, usually offer little insight.

I'll take any individual strategy forum here over the sum total of all poker content there since the group's inception. Hell, they don't even talk fishing there. where's the value of off topic posts when you can't even find out what's hatching in Missoula or on the Green?

06-29-2002, 07:36 PM
I agree. The more top players we can get to post here the better. Both of these people have posted here in the past. Perhaps we will hear more from them in the future.

MM

06-30-2002, 12:00 PM
If RGP would appoint a moderated forum and weed out certain abusers, I'd be there.

I got tired of reading CGA attacks, prop ads, poker ads, etc, etc, etc....wasn't worth the time to wade thru the posts to dig for the nuggets.

thank you 2+2 for moderating, cleaning up, and generally keeping an eye on the forum you got. This is much better.

RB