PDA

View Full Version : Comments sought on this 2nd best straight

cianosheehan
09-26-2004, 01:40 PM
OK, cant seem to get the convertor working properly, it wont include the post-flop information correctly. Possibly because one of those Party Poker newsflash messages came up. So I'll do it myself.

Im on the button with KJo. folded to me, I raise to $2.
SB and BB call.

Flop : Ts Js 9c

check, check. I bet $4

call call.

Turn : Ts Js 9c (Qh)

check check

I bet $12.

SB re-raises all in, BB folds. Its another 12 approximately to me, I call.

River Ts Js 9c Qh (7h)

Sb shows As Kd, and takes it with straight Ace high versus my King high.

Any comments?

DOMIT
09-26-2004, 02:15 PM
I don't think you did anything wrong. Being Party they could have the exact same straight, or an 8 for the idiot straight, or even two pair.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-26-2004, 06:47 PM
u played fine. Either SB made a world-class play or he is an idiot. Hes prolly an idiot /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GimmeDaWatch
09-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Unless the stacks are very deep here, this is impossible to get away from, just be glad it was only $12 more.

Jonny
09-26-2004, 08:00 PM
Played it fine, its party for god's sake

cianosheehan
09-27-2004, 05:35 AM
The frustrating thing is that I knew SB liked to slow play. I just cant decide wether it was good play on his behalf or just a case of FPS paying off.

Dominic
09-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Like the others, I think you played it fine - for the most part. I do have an alternative play to consider, however.

I know it's hard not to raise with KJ on the button when it's folded around to you, but there is something to be said for just calling here - especially since this is NL.

When you raised and got called by both blinds, it kind of puts you in a quandry - you have no idea what they might have. They could have a hand that's ahead of yours (like AK!) or they might merely be thinking you're blind stealing. My point is, you don't know.

Now, if you just call pre-flop, hopefully, the SB raises with his AK...if he doesn't, oh well, you're just as f**ked than if you had raised it! But if he does raise - and you call ( although it wouldn't be horrible to fold this hand to a decent-sized raise), NOW you can put him on a range of hands after the flop, and you might have treaded nore carefully once you saw the flop, turn, etc.

My point is, by raising with less than great starting hands, you'll never know where you are in a hand if you get a call.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-27-2004, 06:53 PM
I think limping w/ KJo is ok, but when everyone has folded to u on OTB raising is the best play (even if the blinds are loose callers). I just hate clling raises w/ KJ, KQ QTs etc. I almost never do it. I think the way he played is the best play, and its how i would play it. It just sucks when some noob out-plays you by accident.