&gt;08. Tennis commentator:
&gt; "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the
&gt;final round,
&gt; his wife takes out his balls and kisses them... Oh my God, what have
&gt;I just
&gt; said?" </font>

Oski
09-26-2004, 12:29 PM
None of them are likely to be true. (http://snopes.com/humor/lists/olympics.asp)

MicroBob
09-26-2004, 12:32 PM
I saw these.
As a former broadcaster I cringed on each one but I'm not sure all of them are legitimate.

a few non-olympic additions:

Young broadcaster calling a basketball game for the St. Louis ABA team in the 1970's.
First game of season the team he is broadcasting has a 7 point lead with 1 minute left and they blow it.
Next night they once again have a 7-point lead with 1 minute left and their coach calls time-out ....broadcaster says "Obviously the head-coach doesn't want another blow-job like the one he had last night!"
The young broadcaster, named BOB COSTAS, later said he thought his first job had ended just as quickly as it had started right there on the spot.
He also says he still gets people who tell him how they nearly drove off the road when they were listening to that game.

Phillies-Cubs game in 1970's on TV. 10-1 score in the 5th or 6th inning or so and the cameras spot a couple making-out in the bleachers (which weren't always packed at Wrigley back in the day). In between pitches they cut to the couple and the broadcasters make various 'oh to be young and in love' type comments.
Finally, one of the announcers observes "You know, I'm detecting a pattern. He's kissing her on the strikes and she's kissing him on the balls."

ESPN2 Minor-league baseball game of the week in 1995. Battle Creek has a promising outfielder named Ethan Faggett (withg a rather unfortunate pronounciation).
The lefty-hitter had pulled 3 hits into right-field and had already drawn the attention of the announcers as having a very good game, but they're thinking he might only be a pull-hitter...then in the 8th inning he knocks goes with the pitch and knocks it into the opposite field.
Matt Vasgergian says "And Faggett shows that he DOES know how to go both ways."
commentator Steve Lyons was at a loss for words.

JTrout
09-26-2004, 12:48 PM
#08 I've always heard that was said on the Johnny Carson show by Arnold Palmer's wife.

Johnny, "Is there anything you do before Arnie's round to give him luck?"

Winnie, "Well, I do kiss his balls for good luck."

Johnny, "I bet that makes his putter flutter."

I have no idea if this actually happened.

krazyace5
09-26-2004, 01:15 PM
This also was a myth.

Lazymeatball
09-26-2004, 01:22 PM
If I wanted to read crap email forwards, I'd get on the list. Or I'd just read this the first time it was posted in NV&amp;G or some other forum. Or I'd just politely skip your posts instead of leaving snide remarks.

MicroBob
09-26-2004, 01:46 PM
unlike the first ones....the quotes that i related were true.

I just looked up the Bob Costas quote for accuracy sake.
From the book Loose Balls - The short and wild life of the American Basketball Assn. by Terry Pluto:
p. 355
Bob Costas: Anyway, the Spirits had a 7-point lead with about a minute to go and I turned to Wilkerson and said on the air "Bill, it would seem that the Spirits have this one well in hand. But you can bet that the last thing Coach Bob MacKinnon wants to see is a repeat of Friday night's blow job."
Wilkerson's eyes were as wide as saucers and he pushed away from the microphone and whispered to me "Are you kidding?"
At that moment I figured I was fired. But the engineer signalled for me to keep talking.

Paders announcer Jerry Coleman has had a few good ones including such winners as "Goose Gossage is throwing up in the bullpen" and "It's a long-fly, deep to right. Dave Winfield is going back...back....he hits his head against the wall!! And it's rolling back to the infield!"

Another one:
In hockey you usually play 5-on-5 (and don't include the goalie in that count).
If both teams have a player in the penalty box you play 4-on-4.
it is VERY easy to not refer to it as 'we'll play 4-on-4 for 30 seconds' and instead say something like 'we'll have 30-seconds of four on four-play'.
The young hockey announcer who learned rather quickly that word-order is extremely important is none other than yours truly.

I also once did a hockey game involving a team called the Beavers and my studio-engineer reported that he couldn't stop laughing every time I made a reference to them.
"The Beavers are very tough at home."
"Pass picked off at center and here come the Beavers back the other way."
etc etc etc.
Personally, I was more amused by the cheerleaders who kept chanting "We've got Beaver Fever"