PDA

View Full Version : TOC AA vs. KK hand

betgo
09-26-2004, 08:14 AM
I was interested in how Reese played the hand where he had KK and Helmuth had AA. Reese raised, Helmuth reraised, and Reese flat called before the flop. Relatively low cards fell on the flop and turn. Helmuth bet on the flop and Reese called. On the turn Helmuth bet, and Reese pushed. I wasn't completely clear about the bet and stack sizes from ESPN, but this was early in the tournament with reasonably deep money.

I assume Reese didn't put a third raise in preflop because he was concerned that Helmuth had aces. However, he was willing to put all his money in after the flop with undercards on the board. I wouldn't think he would be trapping with KK, but he played it as if he was.

Did he put Helmuth on AK or AQ? Obviously on the turn he could beat other big hands Helmuth would have raised with, such as QQ. Was he afraid of aces preflop, but his read changed?

PlanoPoker
09-26-2004, 01:09 PM
If Reese reraised PH preflop, he would only be getting action from AA, so he makes the decision that he "should" be ahead with KK and just calls. That is why he didn't put in another raise.

Army Eye
09-26-2004, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't think he would be trapping with KK, but he played it as if he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't he trap with KK?

Beavis68
09-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Chip has recently won a big pot from Daniel with a flush over flush. Phil had been playing very tightly.

If you remember, on the turn Chips commented that is he folded it would be a big laydown. I think he really felt that Phil had a really big hand.

Iconoclastic
09-26-2004, 03:36 PM
If he thought Hellmuth had a big hand, why did he go All-in?

AceFace
09-27-2004, 01:53 PM
I think he came close to throwing away the kings, but he must've had some second thoughts... I mean what if Hellmuth had QQ or even the 'other' KK. Also, pushing in like that, he could represent a set, although I'm not sure he had any folding equity there (don't know the stack sizes, so I can't tell how committed to the pot both players were).