PDA

View Full Version : Nosy Dealer

08-21-2002, 02:18 PM
Has anyone ever seen this? There's one young guy that deals at my cardroom that has an unusual interest in my play. He's the only dealer I know that occasionally takes a peek at my cards when I fold. For example, he'll say something like, "You're too tight, man." and then takes a peek at my folded pre-flop cards. This will usually happen when I have seat adjacent to him (#1 or #9). He has done this for months whenever he rolls through my table.

Lately, after taking down a hand with no callers, he peeks at my cards. I tipped him. And then I tipped him again saying, "This is for not looking at my cards next time." He blushed a little, but the behavior persists.

The same guy seems too interested in how I've done when I leave. I was cashing in 4 or 5 racks once after playing 3-6 and when he saw me on my way to the cage, he's encouraging me to play in a higher limit game. I guess this isn't a big deal, but as my name suggests, I'm looking for monsters behind the rocks everywhere.

08-21-2002, 03:36 PM
If it is only your hands that he takes an interest in I would say he genuinely considers you a friend and wants to be able to encourage you to do your best and make the most money possible. This is not to say I agree with his actions just speculating as to why he does this. As for how he got into this habit it seems you gave tacit approval by saying nothing for months. When you double tipped him I would imagine he took it either as a joke or as positive reinforcement for his actions.

Jimbo

08-21-2002, 04:10 PM
I haven't noticed him doing the peek at anyone else's cards, although he is a little too interested in everyone's play. I haven't made a big deal out of it because I don't want anyone to think I'm too "serious" about the game. I'm always paranoid (as the name implies) at this card room, because I think the house let's some shady stuff go on from time to time.

08-21-2002, 05:30 PM
You said that he talked to your way to cashing out, so you could always talk to him away from the table. If you tell him that your afraid one of the other players might pick up a tell off of him (and know you made a big laydown, for example), you may get him to stop. You seem to think he's a nice guy, so I'd just talk to him about it.

Another solution would be to avoid the seats next to the dealer when he's on duty. I know that when you can actually get your choice of seats that position relative to the dealer isn't your top concern, but all things being equal try and avoid the situation.

08-21-2002, 06:38 PM
There is no up side to the house allowing some "shady stuff" to go on in their card rooms, especially at a low limit table like a 1-3. If you honestly believe there is something unethical going on you should walk up to the Floor Supervisor and inform him/her of your suspicions. If I am playing in a room and I see anything untoward, trust me, I bring floor over to the table and state my case in front of the offenders. This way the other players at the table can back up what you're saying.

Trust your instincts...and act.

08-21-2002, 07:21 PM

08-22-2002, 11:36 AM
I agree: when I've seen shady business going on, I've made a lot of noise and it has stopped. Examples at this place have included cards being marked by someone by bending (seen this in more than one place), and even a chip runner trying to short-change people. I think people are going to try stuff with all of that money floating around.

I'm not sure what to make of this particular dealer, because I can't see any upside to his behavior. I think he just might be young and have way too much brain-power and energy for the job he has. I think he'd rather be playing, but doesn't have the skill or the bankroll or something.

As far as the house goes, I've come to the conclusion that the house will crush anything that is being brought to their attention, but that many card rooms will just sit by and do nothing until someone starts making noise. This by itself is a good reason to make noise, especially in front of other players. I don't like doing this in front of other players as I mentioned above because I don't want to be labeled as too serious or some kind of grouch.

08-22-2002, 05:56 PM
or, just tell him 'hey man. i don't mind the encouragement. but, i wouldn't let my own grandmother look at the cards i fold. i'd prefer it if you didn't either.'

08-23-2002, 11:34 PM
I think you and most of the respondents are overcomplicating this whole thing.

Just look him in the eye and tell him "Don't do that." He's the one that's out of line, not you.