Billy Baroo
09-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Way to go yesterday, Bob. My picks for today are as follows:

StL -161 2 units
PIT -141 1 units
NYM +169 1 unit
LA +154 1 unit
Ana -115 1 unit

STL -161 Another silly line on a Cardinals game. With two evenly matched pitchers, I think there'd be very slight value betting the cards... but these pitchers are not evenly matched. Marquis is an excellent ground ball pitcher who should be able to pitch his game in spite of Coors Field. Gisell is making his first start of the year and has gotten shelled in each of his 4 relief appearances. I'm tempted to put another unit on this.

PIT -141 I think this is the slimmest pick of the 4. I think Acevado for Cin is so bad that the Pirates win just barely more than 60% here. (Acevado doesn't strike people out, doesn't force a lot of ground balls, and lets up a ton of homers). Fogg for Pittsburgh, on the other hand, is mostly competant. There's also some chance the lines will move enough to pick up an arb... Still, now I'm wishing I only bet 1/2 a unit here.

NYM +169 IMO, Al Leiter deserves more respect than this line is giving him. The Mets win more than 38% here for sure. This was an easy bet for me to make.

LA +154 Betting the Dodgers again. Despite Tomko's recent success, I don't think he's much (if any) better than Weaver. I really don't think he's good enough to justify this line.

-115 Ana. I'm trying to catch an arb., that's it. The A's are at +113 at Canbet and the line has already moved quite a bit. I think there's an excellent chance of at least one book moving to +116 before the game starts at 8:05. Even if I don't catch the middle, my effective juice is so tiny that I make more in bonus money than I lose to the juice.

MicroBob
09-26-2004, 03:27 AM
These should be fun as I am just getting back in from a Saturday night.
Beale St has quite the cast of characters milling about after the big boxing-match in town tonight. (didn't go to the fight, I just like watching all the wacky people).
I've been catching quite a few break lately and suspect my luck will run out at some point.

MIN -123
NYM +169
AZ +320
KC +173

My picks -
MIN -123 - I didn't even bother looking up the minor-league stats for Cruceta for CLE. Carlos Silva for MIN has been pitching VERY well having allowed 2r or fewer in EACH of his last 6 starts. This is a double-unit bet for me.

NYM +169 - Kerry Wood hasn't been dominant of late and I agree that Al Leiter is pretty decent. Cubs are demoralized after today's loss. I don't know if that has them MORE fired-up for today's game because or just more dejected. Regardless, I think Leiter is good enough that there is some value in him here.

AZ +320 - This is kind of a sentimental pick. Steve Sparks is a 39-year-old knuckleballer. I'll take AZ on the chance that Sparks has it dancing enough to keep the SD hitters off balance.

KC +173 - Jon Garland for CHW has gone 13ip, 18h, 11er in his last 2 starts. Pretty lousy. Brian Anderson for KC is no world-beater but in his last 3 starts has gone 18.2ip, 22h, 8er. Not great, but again I think there is value in KC here.

Billy's picks -
STL -161 - ESPN.com lists Shawn Estes (15-7, 5.70) as the COL starter. Pinnacle lists Gissell. Estes has gotten the job done in his last 4 games but those are all against SD and AZ. If it's Estes I would want a little better than -161.

LA - I would be tempted but Weaver has been pretty lousy in his last 4 starts so I'm steering clear.

PIT -141 - A little bit of value here but not much imo.

ANA -115 - Can't comment as I really don't have much feel for which way one can expect lines to move.

MicroBob
09-26-2004, 04:49 PM
Well, I'm already 2-0 in baseball today including a win on my 2-unit bet.

Already won with MIN (2 units) and NYM.
KC is down 3-1 in the 7th.
And my knuckballing stud Steve Sparks is already down 5-0 in the 2nd. Ouch!! Oh well, it was +320 and I just couldn't resist.

Billy Baroo
09-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Good day today for me. 3-0 with 2 scalps.

StL -161 W
PIT -141 W (Mesa made this one interesting)
NYM +169 W (I'm a little upset I only went for 1 unit here)
LA +154 picked up a huge scalp here getting SF at -137
ANA -115 Just barely scalped this one at +116. I think it will get even higher by gametime, but I'm not going to be around to bet it if it does, so I'm happy with my tiny scalp.

Good call on the Minnesota game Bob. I think the AZ game was +EV too, even though it doesn't look like it will work out this time... I'm not so sure about the KC bet, but it's easy to say that now.