PDA

View Full Version : will this put you on tilt??

06-24-2002, 09:50 AM
let's say you are in a game......and I've seen this happen.....in the World Series of Poker in 1999, Huck Seed backdoored a flush with the 10c8c......now he took down a huge pot...instead of tossing the cards toward the dealer so she can shuffle them up, he threw them towards Noel Furlong who was sitting to his immediate left....., not actually throw but pushed them over far enough....right in front of him.....

Did you ever see this type of move?? It's as if to say, "yeah I won the pot, here have another look at my cards." But all you are doing in reality is tossing the cards toward your opponnet....

Towards someone else....like a weaker player will it plant seeds in their head....make them play more....make them play worse??

What do you make of it?

-P.S. Noel Furlong was not involved in the hand...but all day long had been giving HuckSeed Problems..

06-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Mikey,

I've shown cards to opponents after making them, or someone else at table, lay down. A weak

opponent has his/her head in the clouds most of the time, so may not notice. A better player, though, could be thrown off his/her game, if they're the steaming type, so I'd be more likely to do it facing someone who plays well.

perfidious

06-25-2002, 04:10 AM
It's just an amateurish ploy. It reminds me of your hesitating when you made a flush in your short-handed game.

I'd stop thinking about these trick plays and focus on playing better poker.

06-26-2002, 09:41 AM
How do you figure my play was amaturish....in that shorhanded game, when infact it did get him to call all of those extra bets??

06-26-2002, 05:18 PM
A choice is not correct because it worked one time. Using these types of ploys regularly (or even semi-regularly) makes your play very exploitable. Your hesitating was a classic "acting weak = strong" tell. Pushing your winning hand in someone's direction rather than just turning it over is just rude. You shouldn't be resorting to rude behavior to increase your winnings. In the long run, rude behavior will just drive players (especially the weak players) away from the table

06-26-2002, 06:07 PM
I'm getting back to the 20-40 shorthanded game.....yes it is a classic tell that when you take your time.....and raise it seems....like as if you are weak, when infact you are stong....but I was timing my bets...the same way all night.....at least.....at least I thought I was....but I took my time to calm him down to thinking he had the best hand....

I extracted about 4-5 big bets from him......I think he just overplayed his hand.......with 3 5's.....which was the top pair on the board....., but I had a made flush on the flop....plus outs to a straight flush...i had the same.....odds to a straight flush.....as anyone else would to....making a set on the river...., but I had a made hand...plus outs......