PDA

View Full Version : Which 3 books?

helpmeout
09-25-2004, 10:08 PM
I am looking for another couple of books to add to my collection. I am a low limit holdem player looking to improve.

So far I have WLLHE, SSHE, MLHE and HEPFAP.

Obviously I plan on rereading the last 3 multiple times, but I like having a break before rereading something.

So I'd like to add to my collection.

I am thinking TOP is essential but what others are good reads?

Thanks in advance.

Rudbaeck
09-26-2004, 07:46 AM
Theory of Poker and Inside the Poker Mind.

If you play live Caro's Book of Tells is essential.

skibum
09-26-2004, 10:33 AM
TOP, as you stated, is the priority. Improve Your Poker by Ciaffone is in my top ten all-time best list, and I concur the aforementioned Feeney's ITPM is excellent as well. I have read/studied the 4 Hold'em books you mentioned, but I recently purchased ITH by Hilger to send to my son, and read it before mailing. I was very pleasently surprised at it's comprehensive content and quality of presentation. So much so that I ordered another copy for myself. Although not groundbreaking or breathtaking, it really helped bring it all together in my mind and lend some coherence to the multitude of ideas in Hold'em play. It is much more than just the best beginning through intermediate level play book to date, it is also a reference resource for study and review.

DrPhysic
09-27-2004, 11:54 AM
I agree with the others, of course, about TOP. If you could own only one poker book, this is the one.

You have no poker psychology books in your list at this time. I highly recommend The Psychology of Poker by Al Schoonmaker.

Your list looks like you play limit holdem ring tables. If so, add Improve Your Poker, Ciaffone.

If you play no limit he or tournament he, so note and I will be glad to add to the list. If you play stud or omaha ask and somebody other than myself will be glad to help.

Doc

helpmeout
09-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Thank you all for your input.

I am going to get TOP, POP, ITPM, ITH and IYP. I have also heard that Mastery is a good book (non poker book) which would probably be useful for someone like myself.

I'm going to try focus on just playing limit ring games, as NL is a totally different game and its probably too difficult to be successful at both when you are inexperienced.

DrPhysic
09-29-2004, 11:49 AM
After you finish those, assuming you are still playing limit ring, you might try:
Zen and the Art of Poker (If you have any tendency to tilt)
and
Mason Malmuth's Poker Essays I, II, & III. They are really good but somewhat advanced collections of essays on poker.

GL

Doc

helpmeout
09-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks again Dr, I will add those to my list of future reading material.