PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Nick Royale
09-25-2004, 06:57 PM
I’ve played hold’em for awhile, but I’m still a novice. I’ve read HPFAP a couple of times and I understood the most of the concepts, though I can’t handle many of the complex ones. Now I’ve beginning reading Small Stakes Hold’em, as I play small stakes on the internet. It has turned out I’m a looser. Not a big one, but in the long run I seem to lose more than I gain. I know loose callers are great opponents, but I do have a question on the subject:

Suppose I get pocket kings, raise and get three callers, which will make the pot about 8-9$ in my 1-2$ limit game. At this point when rags flops (like 3 7 10 rainbow), if I don’t get raised before I act or have the opportunity to checkraise from an early position, I can’t possibly make their pottodds so bad that they should fold their low/mid-pairs or even gutshot-draws. In this case, should I check and bet on the turn when the bet is twice as large or is it correct to bet right out even if they get the correct odds to call? These players I’m up against would call gutshot-draws even if they get pottodds as poor as 1 to 6, so what to do to gain as much as possible from their mistakes? I feel like the way I play these hands today (the example above is a real hand I lost when a player on midpair at the flop drew me out with two pairs on the river, after I betted the flop and the turn) causes me to lose money in the long run.

Another question on a different subject:
The rake on the site I play is about 7-8% in average. Is that much and can that be a big factor to my long-term losing?

MAxx
09-25-2004, 07:14 PM
you get your money in the pot when you have a hand that expects to win more than its share. to play pocket kings passively would be foolish. make em pay to suckout on you. when they do not suckout on you, do you want a to only win a tiny pot b/c you played your cowboys like a fairy?

it will probably help you more to post specific hands that you have questions about, and then take it from there.

rjb03
09-25-2004, 10:20 PM
You don't want them to fold their low/mid pairs and gutshot draws. You will make the most money when players these hands.

TheHip41
09-25-2004, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
can’t possibly make their pottodds so bad that they should fold their low/mid-pairs or even gutshot-draws. In this case, should I check and bet on the turn when the bet is twice as large or is it correct to bet right out even if they get the correct odds to call? These players I’m up against would call gutshot-draws even if they get pottodds as poor as 1 to 6, so what to do to gain as much as possible from their mistakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why you bet. Let them call with their trash. This is a money making flop for you. Just bet the flop, bet the turn, bet the river. Very simple.