PDA

View Full Version : For Mason re: Kill Pots

06-19-2002, 04:04 PM
Mace,

In a previous post by me, which I wont re-hash, you made the statement "some people do play much looser in kill pots, especially if they are losing". I was wondering if you could expand on that a bit as to what their thinking is. Obviously, one's first thought is someone who plays a weak hand that they normally would not play in a non- kill pot but plays it in a kill pot is an idiot. If you wouldnt play it in a non- kill hand because you know it is a weak hand, why in the world would you play it when the amount is doubled? Especially when someone, who is a solid player, came in with a raise beforehand? So, what is the mindset of someone who comes in? The reason I ask is in my previous post the person in question knew it was a weak starting hand (10-6 off) yet called my raise. They did have enough knowledge of Hold Em to know this, yet they call a raise with it. Why do some people play looser in kill pots, as you said, even though they know they are starting with a weak hand? Is it stupidity? Just want to gamble? If they have enough knowledge to know weak starting hands from strong ones I dont understand. Also, if you could give some basic thoughts overall on kill pots/games I would appreciate it. (Or do I have to buy the book? I do have Poker Essays #3 BTW. For the record, IMO, you are the best poker writer/ theorist out there. You are in the trenches, slugging it out at the 30/60 Bellagio game on a regular basis. Most of these guys who write gave up the daily game/grind a long time ago).--Big Al--

06-19-2002, 04:27 PM
you made the statement "some people do play much looser in kill pots, especially if they are losing". I was wondering if you could expand on that a bit as to what their thinking is.

They will have a chance to win, on average, a pot that is twice as big in $$$.

Also note that there are usually three blinds, not just two in a kill pot. This makes it correct to play a few more hands because they will be getting better pot odds and can expect more multi-way action.

06-19-2002, 07:28 PM
Al:

Some people are either looking to get even or are hoping to get lucky and have a big win. Thus they will play looser, sometimes much looser in lill pots.

You wrote:

"For the record, IMO, you are the best poker writer/ theorist out there."

I hope David doesn't see this.

Best wishes,

Mason

06-20-2002, 10:17 AM
Alec,

I think some bad players approach kill pots the same as straddles. It is a chance for them to get lucky and get even. Just because a player knows playing a bad hand was a mistake, doesn't mean he has the discpline not to play it in one of these gambling situations.

Fishy thoughts,

"This is a piece of cheese, but it's going to be a big pot, and if I hit they'll pay me off. Oh what the hell, I'll see the flop. Oops, a raise, oh well, it's only one raise. 3 bet, damn, but I'm already in for a the raise. Capped, ggggrrrrrr, what's one more bet in case I hit. C'mon flop me a monster with my 10 6o!!!!. "

Flop **** 10 10 6 ****

"OH BABY, I'M A GENIUS!!!!!! BET 'EM BIG AND SLEEP IN THE STREETS. I HOPE ACES AND KINGS ARE OUT!!!!" COCKTAILS!!!!!!!!!!!

Try to get into the mind of your opponent.

Good luck, and may the flop be with you.

Fitz

06-20-2002, 03:23 PM
Al - do you really think that there is some deep-thought explaination for this? Some of the guys you play with are there just to GAMBLE - and thank God for that!