arabie
09-25-2004, 05:52 PM
I have read:
WLSH-Leejones
SuperSystems
Poker Tells-Caro
Play Poker like the Pros-Helmuth
SSH-Miller,Sklansky and Mulmuth

I first tried using the advice of SSH in 5/10 and 10/20, but had troubling with table selection on party. The players did not play poorly enough to create the right odds i the right places. I found SSH's material to be gold in most 1/2 and 2/4 and selectable 3/6. Anyways, i was wondering if anyone had a similar problem and/or knew of any good reading material that adjusts to a somewhat smarter playing field. I have just ordered Holdem for Advaced Players (will this book help?) and Supersystems 2. Any other books you can suggest would be great.. thanks
-Adam-

arabie
09-26-2004, 01:59 AM
no one's got a suggestion?

shemp
09-26-2004, 02:01 AM
The book of tells, supersytem, and the theory of poker all made significant contributions to my learnin.

Turning Stone Pro
09-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Mid-limit holdem by Ciaffone and Brier. This book, after you of course read the Holdem for Advanced Players for 21rst Century, will improve your game 5-fold.

TSP

JasonP530
09-26-2004, 02:55 AM
you should read hold'em for advanced players. Middle limit hold'em is good, and makes some good points, but if you alwasy play like they advocate, you will lay down the best hand far too often.

Turning Stone Pro
09-26-2004, 03:03 AM
perhaps. i still think it is better for a new player to err on the side of playing tight. When one becomes more comfortable and proficient with post-flop play, you can loosen up the standards.

The short-handed section of the book recommends a more aggressive style, and I think this would be very helpful for the short-handed PP games.

TSP

SA125
09-26-2004, 03:31 AM
When I first read the books and considered myself enlightened, two things happened. When I won I credited the books and when I lost I got pissed off because it was usually to a table full of unread nitwits. I thought "They have no idea what they're doing and yet I'm losing to them."

Then the 2nd phase kicked in. Instead of reading mysteries like I used to, I spent my time reading poker books.

The second time though I didn't expect them to be the grail like I used to. I'm not looking for the answer anymore. I'm just looking to ingest what's been written and try to apply what I think is right the best way I can.

Naturally, you try and see what's highly recommended but, to get the point of this response, if you're serious about reading and learning about poker and gambling, just spend the time to read there. Not just the best sellers. Some won't be as good as advertised and some will be better than. It'll be like anything else. You'll try to get an idea of what to do and which way to go, but the goal will always be, to trust your instincts and your play when it's your turn to act.

Personally, some of my favorites are skinny books by guys like Bobby Baldwin. He doesn't tell you how to play AKo with x amount of limpers, but the poker playing road gambler that he was talks about handling bad beats and bad runs, two things that cut straight to the heart of good players. Same thing with WSOP champion Johnny Moss. You learn he wasn't just a poker player, he was a gambler. There's a difference. He used to say a gambler has to know how to beat many different games. He learned to gamble by playing domino's.

Guys who have their picture on the wall at Binion's got it different ways. Moss the old school and Moneymaker/Fossilman the new school.

You wanted a suggestion, there's one. I know it was long winded but I hope it helped some.

na4bart
09-26-2004, 03:40 AM
Try 'Inside the Poker Mind' by John Feeney. Very little stratagy here, but has been a tremendous help in keeping me focused on playing well as opposed to 'how I'm running'.

Nate tha' Great
09-26-2004, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The book of tells, supersytem, and the theory of poker all made significant contributions to my learnin.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hi/lo declare and razz games have never been sharper since purchasing SuperSystem.

gamblore99
09-29-2004, 11:03 PM
theory of poker is a must read.

STLantny
09-30-2004, 12:44 AM
My library:
rated on 1-5 stars, 5 being a must read
inside the poker mind ***
psych of poker *****
championship pl and no limit hold em **
WLLH-lee jones ****
middle limit holdem ****