PDA

View Full Version : Fossilmans Play at TOC

Vince Lepore
09-25-2004, 05:17 PM
I questioned his play. Yes, I admit it, I had problems with his call with the 9,8o and move in with the T,9 from the small blind. I don't make those plays if I'm in his place. I factor in the possibility of a better situation coming up to risk my chips. I think the move in with t,9 is a better play than the call with the 9,8o. I also believe that if he doesn't call with the 9,8o then he doesn't move in with the T,9.

That said I will say that I do better at single table multi payout tournaments than I do at multi table tournaments. I believe that these two plays may very well be correct in a multi table tournament or a winner take all single table such as the one he played. I still do not like th 9,8o call even in a multi table or "single table winner take all" given Greg's chip position at the time. But I watched Greg during the entire WSOP. Greg won not because he was lucky as some on rgp claim. Greg played like the champian he is. Once he got chip position he applied constant pressure on his oppnents and made calls that were pot odds justified. Some worked in his favor other times things didn't go so well. But Greg never gave up nor did he give into fear or nerves. He was and is a champion. And for the want of a club or a few other cards he would have knocked Annie out and had a commanding chip lead in the TOC.

Oh well Good Luck fossilman! Your the best in my book. Well at least until I win the big one, that is. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vince

betgo
09-25-2004, 08:25 PM
ESPN didn't tell what the pot odds are. Fossilman said he had 3-1 or better in both 9-8 calls, so I would call with 72o. You also need to consider how much blinds were in the pot when he pushed with T9. If the blinds were 1/4 or more the small stack, I would probably push with T9 from the SB.

Vince Lepore
09-26-2004, 01:50 AM
"3-1 or better in both 9-8 calls, so I would call with 72o."

In almost every case in tournament play this play would be a mistake. Pot odds are not of prime import in a tournament. Indeed they are an important consideration but pot odds are far out weighed by the concept of survival.

Vince

fnurt
09-26-2004, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"3-1 or better in both 9-8 calls, so I would call with 72o."

In almost every case in tournament play this play would be a mistake. Pot odds are not of prime import in a tournament. Indeed they are an important consideration but pot odds are far out weighed by the concept of survival.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

You are almost 100% wrong, particularly in a winner-take-all format. See the threads on this event in the WPT forum for any number of cogent explanations why.

Vince Lepore
09-26-2004, 06:41 AM
"See the threads on this event in the WPT forum for any number of cogent explanations why."

Could you be more specific please. I looked but couldn't find the discussion Thanks in advance.

Vince /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vince Lepore
09-26-2004, 03:41 PM
After further consideration I believe that I was wrong about making these type of calls although a call with 3-1 pot odds is not a slam dunk decision in my opinion.

Vince

betgo
09-26-2004, 04:28 PM
A call with 3-1 pots is a slam dunk. The only time it is not is with a raised and reraised pot. Say you reraised on a semibluff with QJ and someone comes over the top allin. There is a really good chance he has AA, KK, or QQ, so you might consider folding.

Vince Lepore
09-26-2004, 05:56 PM
You r in the small blind. The blinds are 50-100. The big blind, a solid player, has 2000 behind You have 1300. You have 7,2o. You r saying that a call is a slam dunk. Good luck.

Vince