PDA

View Full Version : The Sh!t Milkshake

mikech
09-25-2004, 04:26 PM
During my recent Vegas trip, I played in the Mirage 2-5 blinds, 300 max buy-in NL games quite a bit. This night, at my table is a guy in his 20s from Atlanta whose name was Will. A buddy of his is also in the game, sitting next to him. Will seems to be a pretty solid player--he says he works as a dealer in underground Atlanta card clubs--and not long after I come to this main table from a must-move, he buys a nice pot and shows his bluff: 9-deuce; following which he and his friend crack up and exclaim, "The sh!t milkshake wins!"

He explains the term: apparently, he coined it back in Atlanta. Once upon a home game, looking down at his cards and seeing 9-deuce, he thought, "What is the worst thing I can think of that would describe this hand?" The sh!t milkshake was born. He claims that the moniker has spread locally, and that he's come across other players he'd never met before use the nickname.

Maybe half an hour later, he open-raises in MP to about $20, getting 3 or 4 callers (I was not among them). Flop comes down T-9-4 rainbow. Checked to him and he makes a near-pot-sized bet of $75 or so, two callers. Turn is a blank, 5 or 3 or something, and now he moves all-in for $600. One guy folds, then the guy sitting on my right (who has Will slightly covered) thinks about it for a while, finally declaring, "I call."

Will turns his cards up before the river is dealt: ATs. Guy on my right sees it, says, "Nice hand..." seemingly ready to concede the $1500+ pot as the dealer burns and turns the river: a deuce, "...but I got 2 pair," and flips over his--you guessed it--sh!t milkshake.

The table's in an uproar. "The sh!t milkshake wins again!" we cry out. Will's livid. Guy on my right tries to justify his call, "I put you on AK." Will leaves the game, wise decision since he couldn't possibly keep playing while steaming like that. He returns to us 15 minutes later, however, having gained a greater appreciation for the delicious irony we witnessed, and asks the table if we would all spread the name "sh!t milkshake" for him when we got back to wherever we came from. Of course we were all glad to agree, and now I'm doing my part. Long live the sh!t milkshake.

shawn_p
09-25-2004, 08:46 PM
9-2 is called the Montana Bannana in the Northwest, not sure why.