PDA

View Full Version : two hands KQ, KK.. am i too weaktight?

greg nice
09-25-2004, 02:29 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

Button ($42.75)
SB ($78.73)
Hero ($44.50)
UTG ($95.33)
MP ($46.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, MP folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, UTG calls $1.50, SB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, UTG calls $6, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $15</font>, Hero folds,

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

Button ($53.35)
Hero ($76.95)
BB ($27.95)
UTG ($145.96)
MP ($187.14)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, BB folds, MP calls $1.50, Button calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.50) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP calls $5, Button folds.

Turn: ($16.50) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets $5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $21.50

amoeba
09-25-2004, 03:13 PM
I don't think its too weak tight.

Why did you raise preflop with Kqo? Is the table really that loose that they will call with hands worse than yours?

greg nice
09-25-2004, 04:02 PM
i will usually raise with KQo in that position, as most hands better would have raised themselves. but yes, this table was ultra loose with one of the big stacks calling raises with any ace and calling down to the river with top pair shiit kicker.

Roman
09-25-2004, 04:56 PM
#1 dont raise PF in hand one and pot plays a lot easier.

#2 easy fold.

greg nice
09-25-2004, 07:52 PM
yea i guess the KQo preflop raise looks like my downfall in that hand.

thatpfunk
09-25-2004, 08:03 PM
I disagree with other posters here...

KQo is a raise-worthy 5 handed. Your position sucks, yes, but hand 1 I have no problem pushing... What could honestly have hit the sb so much that he didnt raise with pf, Q9 only... In this game an OESD would be my guess.

Hand 2 just sucks because you have no position and he could easily be chasing a flush draw like players love to do and then bluffing at your apparent weakness. Depending on the player I would either checkfold or follow through with another pot sized bet. With no read I tend to be more aggressive and bet out again. If you are played back at or called then it becomes a give up.

I guess Im pretty agressive, but hey, whatever works.

Also, I wouldn't call your play weak-tight, but just very cautious. I feel likethis is a game in which you can push edges extremely hard if you have the correct BR. Good luck in your future hands.

jon_1van
09-25-2004, 08:51 PM
I agree with thatpfunk.

I think the preflop raise in hand 1 is a good move. KQo is decent shorthanded. Being too tight in these games isn't the best idea.

The worst hand that you can realistically see (outside Q9) is JT. You don't have to worry about a set. I'd push here...try to represent AQo (here is where your preflop raise helps you)

If you get called you have the draw...and I think there's a good chance you can buy this pot.

Hand 2 isn't too bad...just annoying folding the KK

AncientPC
09-26-2004, 01:29 AM
1) I'd push.

2) That's an easy fold. You might try a half pot bet on turn as they could be on flush draw, but checking the turn is the same as folding.

greg nice
09-26-2004, 12:37 PM
thatpfunk, youve got me all figured out from two hands. lol..

hand 1, i wanted to push very badly. i think your characterization of 'cautious' is spot on because i barely have 10 buy ins at 25nl in my bankroll. i just recently took a huge hit for about $400 which i think i can attribute to playing overly tricky. so ive backed it down to try to play good solid straightforward poker without taking too many chances.

Justin A
09-26-2004, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What could honestly have hit the sb so much that he didnt raise with pf, Q9 only...

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, KT, KJ, AQ, AK, JT, TT, maybe JJ. Sb probably doesn't reraise any of these hands.

Justin A