PDA

View Full Version : Sandwiches

Rushmore
09-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Sandwiches are good. I do not eat fast food, and I love sandwiches, so, as I said, sandwiches are good. I don't care about carbs.

Great sandwiches are even better, and I still do not care about carbs.

Now, I'm not talking about that unbelievable brisket sandwich you get for $11.99 at the "NY-Style Deli" in whatever town you happen to reside. That's a different topic.

I'm talking about a sandwich--bread, meat, condiments. Somewhere between $3.50 and $7.00, depending on the size.

I have found that if you go to the local supermarket deli section and order an "Italian" or "The Supreme" or whatever, and you make sure to order it with the premium meat for the extra buck or whatever, you can get some kind of great freakin sandwich.

Boar's Head seems to be pretty top-shelf. Lettuce, tomato, mustard, mayo, and a little vinegar and oil. I like jalapenos, not banana peppers, but that's just a matter of taste.

Green peppers and olives are not right on a sandwich of this kind. Subway foisted this fraud upon us. Olives should reside only in the muffaletta, and there, only in a sort of paste.

Yes, I realize that one can purchase all of the ingredients necessary to produce the same product at a reduced price, but I don't care about that, because I am both lazy and wealthy, and do not care for such concerns.

Anyway.

Sandwiches are good.

Zeno
09-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Sandwiches are good. And the local deli usually gets it right. Almost all Fast food Sandwiches are mediocre or nothing special.

I still like homemade. The best is left over roast beef - Say from slow roasting a rump or chuck roast. The beef has aged a bit in juice with all the different flavors etc. Save a chunk for a sandwich. All you need is good bread, some butter, a little mustard, and thick slices of the beef. Have pickles on the side. Wash it down with your favorite beer.

Sometimes simple is the best.

-Zeno

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Nothing beats a well-made Reuben, with a Cubano coming in 2nd.

Clarkmeister
09-25-2004, 12:49 PM
It's spelled Sammich.

Nepa
09-25-2004, 01:13 PM
This is the best I ever sandwiches that I ever had. Too bad they don't get a website and chain this place. Wally's "home of the hog" is the best. They name all of there Sandwiches after pigs. ie. porky, boss hog, oinker.

Best Deli
WALLY'S DELI (711 N. 17th Street, Allentown, 435-7177; 1245 Chestnut St., Emmaus, 967-1347). Since 1990, owners Wally and Sue Roberts have been serving sandwiches so fresh and large their deli easily lives up to its nickname, the "Home of the Hog." The Super Hog, for instance, serves twelve. Another favorite is "Wally's Decker," with ham, turkey, bacon, and American cheese layered with multiple slices of bread. Wally's also serves hot foods like crabcakes and chicken or beef cheesesteaks. In the summertime, look for new daily salads and weekly sandwich specials.

Dominic
09-25-2004, 01:21 PM
I have to disagree with the green olives part...I love 'em on my Italian-style or turkey breast sandwich...chopped up, of course...

very tasty.

Bump-en-Stein
09-25-2004, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree with the green olives part...I love 'em on my Italian-style or turkey breast sandwich...chopped up, of course...

very tasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to discuss the fundamental differences between black and green olives. I noticed that green olives tend to add to the celebratory mood, whereas black olives are more demurr and professional. Black olives rarely get out of line, and are most often pitted. Green olives, go overboard, especially in martinis.

This is just an observation, I am not an anti-olivite. Please, let's discuss.

woodguy
09-25-2004, 02:06 PM
My local deli makes this one:

Parmesean encrsted Chiabata bread
2 layers of thick cut Provalone
2 layers thin sliced Montreal-style smoked meat
2 layers spicy Italian salami
2 layers procuttio ham

Spciy mustard to die for (they make it there), real butter, real mayo

I have them put on a sliced pickle and sliced banana peppers.

This is the reason I am fat and happy.

Regards,
Woodguy

blackaces13
09-25-2004, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its classified as simply "meat". Hmmm...

Rushmore
09-25-2004, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Parmesean encrsted Chiabata bread
2 layers of thick cut Provalone
2 layers spicy Italian salami
2 layers procuttio ham

Spciy mustard to die for (they make it there), real butter, real mayo

I have them put on a sliced pickle and sliced banana peppers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the vague "meat," this sounds lovely.

Rushmore
09-25-2004, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

very tasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually thinking of, and referring to, black olives.

You might have a point about the green olives, particularly on a turkey sammitch.

Point taken. Touche. Well met!

Yum.

Dynasty
09-25-2004, 04:20 PM
You guys and your fancy sandwiches are too much.

A few days ago I got a craving for a simple peanut butter sandwich on simple Wonder bread. I've had them for lunch each of the last three days and am going to make a couple more when I'm done with his post.

Dominic
09-25-2004, 04:55 PM
black olives do nothing for me, in or out of a sandwich.

they are fun to put on the tips of your fingers like little finger caps, though.

tolbiny
09-25-2004, 05:04 PM
mmmmmmm
peanut butter and jelly-
though i have two probelms with the wonder bread-
1- that suff tears if you like good chunky peanut butter- bad messy sandwich
2. it ain't nearly as good as good whole wheat/wheat nut/ multigrain bread. Brownberry Healthnut is currently my favorite... fortunately i have some in the kitchen

Rushmore
09-25-2004, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few days ago I got a craving for a simple peanut butter sandwich on simple Wonder bread. I've had them for lunch each of the last three days and am going to make a couple more when I'm done with his post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty, I have never known you to make a useless post.

The tradition continues. Excellent. I noticed you left out the jelly. This might be one of the reasons you are The Man.

And to admit to the Wonder bread, well, I'm very impressed.

Someone before me mentioned something about peanut butter on some sort of whole grain or multisomething bread.

These forums can save similar people from making the same mistakes.

Rushmore
09-25-2004, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they are fun to put on the tips of your fingers like little finger caps, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post might belong in the Psychology forum.

Is there a Psychiatry forum?

Homer
09-25-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the best I ever sandwiches that I ever had. Too bad they don't get a website and chain this place. Wally's "home of the hog" is the best. They name all of there Sandwiches after pigs. ie. porky, boss hog, oinker.

Best Deli
WALLY'S DELI (711 N. 17th Street, Allentown, 435-7177; 1245 Chestnut St., Emmaus, 967-1347). Since 1990, owners Wally and Sue Roberts have been serving sandwiches so fresh and large their deli easily lives up to its nickname, the "Home of the Hog." The Super Hog, for instance, serves twelve. Another favorite is "Wally's Decker," with ham, turkey, bacon, and American cheese layered with multiple slices of bread. Wally's also serves hot foods like crabcakes and chicken or beef cheesesteaks. In the summertime, look for new daily salads and weekly sandwich specials.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why have a I never heard of this place? I lived in Allentown/Bethlehem for the last seven years. PM me some directions to the Emmaus location if you have the time or inclination. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Diplomat
09-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Please, for the love of god, tell me you've had this stuff. It's smoked beef...insanely good. Unfortunately it is difficult to get really good stuff outside of Montreal...NYC might have a few good places though. Just make sure you buy it from a really fat Jewish dude.

-Diplomat

Ulysses
09-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Man, I love sandwiches. All different kinds. Too hefty a topic to really get into in any depth with the time I have today. However, how's this for a dilemma.

Right around the corner from my office are a number of delis. Here I can get great Italian, meatball, reuben, roast beef, turkey, whatever kind of sandwiches for something like $4 to $7 depending on what and where.

However, about 8 blocks away are the Vietnamese sandwich shops. There, they make delicious sandwiches on fresh tasty baguettes. Filled with lots of succulent fresh roasted seasoned pork or BBQ chicken or all sorts of other delicious meats and some delicious carrots/cucumbers/onions/cilantro/etc, a little dab of pate and mayo. Delicious. These sandwiches go from $2 to $2.50 and are better than most any deli sandwich. Yet too far away to get on any regular basis.

Tragic.

For SF residents: "Best Vietnamese Sandwich
Sometimes one's sandwich yearnings lean to something other than ham (or grilled eggplant) and cheese — perhaps even to Vietnamese! When this cross-cultural craving strikes, our readers head to Saigon Sandwiches for baguettes enhanced with slices of lemongrass-grilled pork and other Indo-Chinese wonders that speak with a slight French accent. Delicious, varied, cheap: oh la la! 560 Larkin, S.F. (415) 474-5698."

Rushmore
09-25-2004, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, about 8 blocks away are the Vietnamese sandwich shops.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
For SF residents: "Best Vietnamese Sandwich

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read the first part, I was going to tell you about my ten years in SF, suspecting that "parts unknown" was actually SF.

When I read the second part, I knew you knew what you were talking about.

The beautiful thing about those beautiful sandwiches is that if you live nearby enough to a good one, you know where five meals a week are coming from.

I swear, the first time I came across the real thing, and the guy said the price, I thought he hadn't heard me right.

I said, "No, I want the sandwich."

He said, "Yeah, $2.85."

And don't get me started on soup!

sfer
09-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Those sandwiches are heavenly.

Legian
09-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Do hamburgers and hotdogs count as sandwiches or are they disqualified simply because the meat has been heated?

vulturesrow
09-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Blasphemer! Heretic!

Legian
09-25-2004, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blasphemer! Heretic!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. In that case the best-ever sandwich is made by picking a ripe Tuscan tomato from the vine, slicing it into four pieces, and then placing the slices onto a freshly baked baguette.

From this point on it gets a bit idiosynchratic. Personally I like chopping a slice of red onion over the tomato, drizzling some olive oil on top and then giving it a generous grinding of fresh black pepper.

My wife on the other hand won't eat this sandwich without mayonaise (she's American).

Regardless, it is best when washed down with a white Montecarlo or Galestro though I choose those simply because it's best to drink wine which is from the region of your produce. As I doubt many of you vacation or live in Italy or by great good luck happen to have a Tuscan white in the old cellar do feel free to substitute with any dry white which may be available. It goes well with a cold lager too.

Legian

blackaces13
09-26-2004, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just make sure you buy it from a really fat Jewish dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

always a +EV play when it comes to deli meats.

Oski
09-26-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As I doubt many of you vacation or live in Italy or by great good luck happen to have a Tuscan white in the old cellar.

Legian

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, nobody goes there ... its too crowded.

Toro
09-26-2004, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's spelled Sammich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or as my late Italian grandmother used to say sangwich.

Toro
09-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Just had a sandwich recently at my local lunch stop that I had never heard of before and was excellent. It was a chicken salad BLT. It was your standard chicken salad sandwich with of course bacon lettuce and tomato.

I now ask for it even when they don't have it as the special because it was so good.

RocketManJames
09-26-2004, 02:38 PM
If you could start this trend, Dynasty... maybe you can help pull the Wonder Bread makers out of bankruptcy.

-RMJ

nothumb
09-26-2004, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone before me mentioned something about peanut butter on some sort of whole grain or multisomething bread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I like to eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches on whole wheat bread. I do not think this is a mistake, but actually very tasty. I survived between the ages of 8 and 15 largely on these sandwiches.

However there is also an amazing French restaurant in West Stockbridge, MA, called Rouge, where, aside from your rather typical twenty-to-thirty-dollar-entree elite cuisine (very good) they have a bar menu with these enormous sandwiches for 8 bucks or so, and they come with the best 'pommes frites' this world has ever seen. Each batch fried in fresh olive oil and seasoned brilliantly. The sandwiches include a steak sandwich with jack cheese, lettuce, onions and tomatoes, or a pulled-pork and jalapeno pepper concoction that makes me moist just to imagine it. Yeah, I guess you might call it cheating cause the meat is 'heated,' but if you're talking about sandwiches as hearty, tasty food priced well below what a meal of similar quality might be, these fit the bill.

NT

turnipmonster
09-26-2004, 05:01 PM
I like sandwiches too. in fact, a couple of years ago I was touring europe with a trio playing jazz on the street. we were on a budget, so every single day for 3 months we had fruit, cheese and baguette sandwiches for lunch. brie and pears are my personal favorite, although fresh tomatoes and fresh mozzarella is particularly good as well, as are pears and bleu cheese and peaches and any sort of creamy (brielike) cheese.

my favorite peanut butter sandwich is peanut butter, mixed nuts for extra crunchiness, and honey on toasted bread.

--turnipmonster

Six_of_One
09-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Peanut butter and bacon sandwich, on toasted white bread. I'm not kidding. You'll love it.

scotnt73
09-27-2004, 02:45 PM
im not very sophisticated:

my favorite sandwhich is jasons dellis french dip.

sprmario
09-27-2004, 04:02 PM
For anyone living in Washington DC... the greatest sandwiches ever made are made at Penn Grill at 825 20th St Northwest (20th and I). This place is owned by an Asian family and the mom makes the cold sandwiches in the back. She's gotta be the greatest sandwich maker on earth. They roast up the turkey on site and she slices it up right there in front of you to make the sandwich. She also cuts up the tomato, cucumbers, avocado, etc, right there and makes everything exactly like you want it. There are all sorts of sandwiches that aren't even on the menu that she will make for you. The bread is also great and they have all sorts of great mustards and sauces that you can put on. This place is also great because they have hot sandwiches that are pretty good too, and make your own stir fry as well where you pick out the ingredients and they stir fry it for you (a la mongolian bbq). But the real selling point are the sandwiches. My personal favorites were the italian sub, the roast beef and turkey club, the BLT and the Waldorf.

Penn Grill is the thing I miss most about DC.

nolanfan34
09-27-2004, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, about 8 blocks away are the Vietnamese sandwich shops. There, they make delicious sandwiches on fresh tasty baguettes. Filled with lots of succulent fresh roasted seasoned pork or BBQ chicken or all sorts of other delicious meats and some delicious carrots/cucumbers/onions/cilantro/etc, a little dab of pate and mayo. Delicious. These sandwiches go from $2 to $2.50 and are better than most any deli sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second (or third or fourth) this vote. My wife found a small sandwich shop like this outside of Seattle. Same pricing, like $2 or $2.50 per sandwich. They put some sort of spicy seasoning on the pork one, which if you get a bite with a lot of spice, will make your eyes water. It's great.

The best part is when we have a housewarming to go to, or other party where we need to bring food, a lot of times we'll just go pick up 4 or 5 sandwiches, slice them up on a plate, and we've got an easy dish for like $10.

Unfortunately I haven't found one of these places in Olympia yet (which is about an hour south of Seattle, for non-Washingtonians). /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rushmore
09-27-2004, 08:43 PM
I lived in DC for 15 years, on and off.

On the fast-food-type end of the Sammitch Spectrum, I must admit to being a big fan of Boeymonger's in Friendship Heights.

They made a sandwich called a Manhattan, with roast beef, cheddar cheese, bacon, and a special sauce thing that was unbelievable. They also had a breakfast sammitch called a Friss which was eggs, cream cheese and pastrami on a kaiser roll with spicy mustard that was excellent for hangover elimination.

I ate an awful lot of those.

I haven't lived or visited there for some while. I wonder if they're still there.

Yum.

(Edited for sammitch content)

Nepa
09-27-2004, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why have a I never heard of this place? I lived in Allentown/Bethlehem for the last seven years. PM me some directions to the Emmaus location if you have the time or inclination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you find it? I sent you a PM.

Rushmore
10-01-2004, 10:31 PM
This might look like a bump, but now that I'm a pooh-bah, I can get away with anything, and be credible doing it.

One interesting--and topical--sidenote is the derivation of the word sandwich.

There was an Earl, whose ancestors had discovered the Sandwich Islands, who was fond of playing cards. He was remiss in his duties to his own constitution (he didn't like to leave the card table it seems), and his wife worried about about him.

Since he wouldn't come and eat a proper meal, she brought him some meats and some bread.

Etc.

So we have cards to thank for this, as well!

theBruiser500
10-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Last year before going to bed for a couple of months I'd make myself a sandwich to eat while I read in bed. Toasted wheat, then buffalo chicken (a spicy coldcut), melted swiss cheese, tomatoes and spicy mustard. When I was I was lucky and we had them, I would also have a knish.

Rushmore
10-02-2004, 08:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Last year before going to bed for a couple of months

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you, a bear?

Sounds like a nice sandwich, though.

How about a nice pick-a-nick basket?

vulturesrow
10-02-2004, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would also have a knish.

[/ QUOTE ]

you ate the guy from Rounders?

DCIAce
10-02-2004, 04:48 PM
I like the basic club sandwich.
Turkey, Bacon, Mayo, Lettuce, (&Tomato, but I don't like Tomato), and some places put ham and/or cheese, on 3 pieces of white toast. Yummy. /images/graemlins/smile.gif