PDA

View Full Version : Proflop question: AJs SB against a raise

StellarWind
09-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Hero is SB with AJs.

EP limps, CO limps, good/aggressive Button raises, Hero ?.

bdk3clash
09-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Kind of a tough one, I'd lean towards 3-betting.

If the button is good, he's going to have some pretty wide raising standards for raising two limpers with the button. Potentially, he could be raising 77-AA, any 2 suited Broadways, and Axs down to like A7, along with the hands that really screw you, AK and AQ. These are pretty much the range of hands I'd raise in this spot, along with the other standard ones I'm leaving out.

Also, depending on your read of his read of the limpers, it's entirely possible he is raising with a wider or narrower range of hands than this.

Anyway, what makes me want to 3-bet here is you're really only in lots of trouble against AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, and AQ. You actually crush a very reasonable range of hands he's raising here, like QJs, KJ (and probably KJo), TJs, and all the Ax hands except AK and AQ. If he has AJo you're freerolling.

So given your read, I'd 3-bet. Getting the 2 limpers to call another 2 cold or fold is a win-win, and against the raiser I guess it's time to play poker.

dejableu
09-25-2004, 12:02 PM
I agree completely with bdk. In fact, with two limpers, the button could be raising an even wider range of hands than he suggested. This is especially true if he perceives you as a tough player who would call half a bet with a marginal hand but fold most hands to a raise. Go for the 3-bet.

lil'
09-25-2004, 12:03 PM
I three bet more often than not, and try to restrain myself from spewing chips when I miss the flop.

bdk3clash
09-25-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I three bet more often than not, and try to restrain myself from spewing chips when I miss the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really the hard part, isn't it?

lil'
09-25-2004, 12:47 PM
It's tough when you've committed so much to the pot already.

Trix
09-25-2004, 12:49 PM
I might coldcall, since I will have perfect position for CRing the flop then.

StellarWind
09-25-2004, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I might coldcall, since I will have perfect position for CRing the flop then.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did and I did.

The flop was ace-high and no one called the checkraise.

bdk3clash
09-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Is 3-betting a mistake? I gave my reasons for doing so above--any thoughts? What tips this to a coldcall for you?