PDA

View Full Version : Good or Ungood?

sthief09
09-25-2004, 05:36 AM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (2.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.16 BB, between MP1, MP3, Hero and UTG+2.</font>

I figured he was either planning to raise me on the turn, or he had nothing. I know my hand is vulnerable, but in a 2 BB pot I'll take my chances and hope to induce a bluff. I take stabs at the pot like this all the time, and when they call and I check the turn, they almost always bet. That's why I felt like this would work.

thanks for the converter, bison

Evan
09-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Okay, explain the flop bet to me like I'm a 4 year old. One of us has a lot to learn about this game (I'm betting on me).

Cerril
09-25-2004, 06:26 AM
At what point did you decide you had the hand to take this to the river? The flop bet is fine to me, three rags might see a fold against just one opponent.

I suppose with the turn you can give yourself a good enough chance to win to see it to the river (2BB to win 4), I'm curious whether there's any reason to bet/fold-if-raised here though? Or is that not maximizing things enough to you?

J.R.
09-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Its 1) headsup, 2) the limp came from EP so its likely the opponent just has overcards 3) K high may be best, 4) in a shorthanded pots in full games, aggression, especially as the first actor, is highly rewarded.

Trix
09-25-2004, 07:13 AM
it is positive EV if he will fold more than 1/3.33.

Actually a little less, since you may improve.

Trix
09-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Think you have enough to check-raise the turn.

Trix
09-25-2004, 07:18 AM
I dont think number 3 is a factor at all since he will hardly ever show it down. The chance to improve is all that matters, to add value to the (semi)bluff.

I´ve done this a fair bit also and think its pos EV if not overused.
In 6 max, they call very often though, probably making it -EV.

chesspain
09-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Josh,

Why do you think there is at least a 20% chance that his hand is worse than yours on the river? Indeed, for this to be true, he would have had to openlimp with a non-pair hand Qx or worse, and then would have had to decide to keep up this aggression after you stick around on the turn.

I just wonder if the river call is worth it with the pot being so small, unless you previously knew this opponent to be tricky.

spamuell
09-25-2004, 09:49 AM
I like the flop and turn.

I think he's calling more hands on the river than he's betting, so I bet the river. I'm specifically thinking of hands with aces in them. Anyone disagree?

StellarWind
09-25-2004, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think there is at least a 20% chance that his hand is worse than yours on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because we turned a pair?

StellarWind
09-25-2004, 10:31 AM
I think you have a good idea here on the turn. I may want to add it to my game.

You have to bet the river when the board pairs.

J.R.
09-25-2004, 01:05 PM
I think 3 is a factor in the sense that you aren't going to get called down if your K high is best, so your flop bet will often be a value bet, albeit one with a small edge that you prefer your opponent to fold to, and that fold you desire will often be the case in a headsup pot at a full table.

lil'
09-25-2004, 01:18 PM
This is a move I sometimes pull on the turn against overaggressive types in small pots. It's uncommon (although not unheard of) for an 8 to not raise this flop, so you figure to be ahead quite a lot. I started doing it after people did it to me! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

The question is, what to do on the river? I still feel like I screw that part up sometimes. I can't say for certain that I'm eager to bet this river. A high might call, but you might be more likely to get a bluff here if you check.

sthief09
09-25-2004, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have a good idea here on the turn. I may want to add it to my game.

You have to bet the river when the board pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think I may agree with you. The reason I check-called was because I felt that (1) if he had nothing and he bet the turn with nothing, he'd probably take another stab, (2) if he had something on the flop, he might have me beat, and (3) if he was slowplaying the flop, then I'm going to get raised.

#3 was going through my mind more than anything else.

chesspain
09-25-2004, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think there is at least a 20% chance that his hand is worse than yours on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because we turned a pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I have to be more careful about answering posts before I've finished my morning coffee.