PDA

View Full Version : Tournament hand for review

Edgewater
09-25-2004, 04:44 AM
Knocked out of a tournament today by this one. Would really appreciate any comments. My first post so bear with me.

Small blind is 400 and big is 800. I have about 20,000 chips and the other two players have about the same amount as I do.
I am on the button with pocket six's. All fold to me but one call. I raise to 3,000. Small blind folds, big blind calls my raise and the other player also calls my raise.

Three of us see the flop which is Kc,Qs,6h

Big blind checks, other player checks and I check.

Turns is a 9h

Both check to me and I bet 3,000 with my set of 6's. Big Blind folds and other player goes all in. I call and he turns over Jd,10s. I get beat by his straight.

What do you think? Should I hve bet the flop, folded on his raise at the turn? I really appreciate the help.

Shawn

TheJackal
09-25-2004, 05:34 AM
I'm more of a tight player, so I wouldn't raise that much with pocket 6's if the caller was in EP. It's one of those trouble hands, if someone re-raises you, it's a hand that is either a small favorite or a big dog. I would have just called and taken a flop, but that's just me...
Anyways I would have bet that flop, you have bottom set, which in this case (rainbow flop) seems like a good time to slowplay, but it's really not. Without protecting your hand here on the flop, you are giving your opponent infinite odds to draw out on you... Granted he got lucky hitting his gutshot, but if you bet, say the pot, he would be making a mistake calling the bet, and EV wise, you would be making a correct play... Another plus here would be if someone had a good hand, but not great like yours (like AK, KJ KQ) he might check-raise you, taking way the worst of it, and since no one on the internet throws away 2 pair (for the most part), you would be in a very good spot to extract some chips...
The call on the turn isn't giving you the pot odds to call (14k to win roughly 44k), since you need +4:1 to call, but that's only if you knew he had a straight and didn't make some goofball two pair, or had a straight draw with an overcard, given the fact your hand could still improve, the call on the turn was fine...

chet
09-25-2004, 08:52 AM
You slowplayed a set of 6s and he got his card on the turn. I'd probably have bet the flop with that flop.

JMP300z
09-25-2004, 09:21 AM
You have position on two players who called a large reraise preflop. The pot is near 10k and you have 17k sitting in front of you....i bet this pretty hard here. Chances are someones got a piece of that flop, maybe 2 pair, AK etc. (theres also a chance theyre hit a higher set but they might have reraised you preflop). Dont slow play a bottom set w/ three in the hand and a big pot...As the pots get bigger, deception becomes less important.

The added benefit of betting this hard (overbetting, maybe all in) is that it looks like youre just following up youre preflop and trying to take the pot from position.

I got busted first hand out of a tournament in a similar spot, 22 on the button, flop 3 way, qj2, early spot bets, i call hoping to drag in the last position, he calls, turn comes 9 and i push betting pot and am quickly called by 8To. Just happens. THe very next tournament i hit top set and pushed on a pot from last position way over betting it and was called by an inside straight draw and over cards who thought i was just following up my preflop w/ over cards or a small pair.

betgo
09-25-2004, 09:45 AM
I would have limped in preflop, rather than rasing a limper with 66. I would have bet the flop, maybe 1/2 or 3/4 pot. You had to call the raise on the turn. You were pretty much pot committed and you had a big hand.

willie
09-25-2004, 01:10 PM
i'd typically limp this hand, and then bet relatively strong ont he flop

yes you want action, but that board is loaded with draw potentials. be it a flush draw or straight draw.

you still have outs to catch up here as well, it's just tough, but not betting on the flop really put you in trouble.

gergery
09-25-2004, 02:49 PM
I just call that preflop. Raising can be correct at some tables, but generally calling is better. If you want to raise, your raise was alittle small as that's only 2.5xbb +1x for limper, and if the BB and limper are be tighter types with preferably smaller stacks than you.

On flop, checking behind them is a big mistake, primarily as they are likely to have caught part of this and be willing to pay, but also because gutshots or draws can hurt you.

-greg