PDA

View Full Version : Game selection...

07-22-2001, 05:00 PM
Here's the thing. I'm new to the game, but I live two hours away from any live play, and the only choice of hold'em games is 2-4, maybe 4-8, and $15 and $25 buy-in no limit tournaments. I'm pretty comfortable (financially) with either of the tournaments or the 2-4 game. I played in one tournament so far, and my initial read of the players is just a bunch of guys trying to get away from it for awhile. Hence, very loose play.

What I'd like to know is should I bother with no limit tournaments before I get a feel for limit play, or am I throwing money away? Also, how does the tight/aggressive style transfer into a cheap no limit situation?

Erik Beam

07-24-2001, 02:53 AM
Erik,

Knowing how to play limit hold'em is important, as long as you are learning WHY a certain play is correct, and not just that it is. NL Tourneys require a very different playing style, but the playing principles remain fairly constant. The key difference between the two game types, in my opinion, is psychology. In NL tourneys, its all about making the right size bet at the right time against the right person. In limit hold'em, you can play a more mathematical, mechanical style.

I would recommend playing a little of both, and play whichever you enjoy the most. I have a friend who has won a $1000 tournament, but barely stays afloat in the limit home games we play.

As for your question about tight/aggressive, tight is even more important, since one misplay can be very costly. Aggressive is also more important, since you must fully punish your opponents who misplay their hands.

Hope this helps,

Fallon

07-24-2001, 10:58 AM