PDA

View Full Version : Williams must repay Dolphins $8.6 million

GWB
09-24-2004, 06:15 PM
This is good for the principle of the good work ethic in America.

ThaSaltCracka
09-24-2004, 07:19 PM
actually its more like taxes. He earned the money and now he has to pay it back. If there wasn't a clause in his contract I would say this was even more ridiculous.

GWB
09-24-2004, 07:32 PM
How is this like taxes?

You have a signing bonus, you have a contract, but its OK to take the bonus and keep it but not serve out the contract?

How did he "earn it"?
I would think you earn it (the bonuses above and beyond the salary) when you fulfill your contract to the best of your ability.

SnakeRat
09-24-2004, 07:33 PM
If you quit your job you are a traitor!
Thats what the terrorists want you to do!

This has nothing to do with the "principle of work ethic in America."
Its just a legal dispute about what his contract actually said.

GWB
09-24-2004, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is fulfilling his contract, what does that have to do with "the principle of work ethic in America"?

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point is he quit before the season, so he is not fulfilling his contract.

ThaSaltCracka
09-24-2004, 07:39 PM
His performance on the field got him a lot of extra money, because his contract had incentives in it. I think the signing bonus should be returned, but that was only about 3.5 million. He is giving back 8.6 million.

GWB
09-24-2004, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His performance on the field got him a lot of extra money, because his contract had incentives in it. I think the signing bonus should be returned, but that was only about 3.5 million. He is giving back 8.6 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is validity to your point, but it should be said that he was trying to extort more money from the Dolphins before he quit.

He gambled on a high risk strategy and lost. And if he declares bankruptcy, he will be again trying to "game" the system. Legal trickery instead of hard work - I have no sympathy for him.

The Dude
09-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Actually, he'll probably get to keep $3.2(ish) million of it, and have to pay back the rest. Miami agreed to pay a portion of his signing bonus from New Orleans when they acquired him, and the court will likely decide that he can keep that part.

He should be liable to pay back the rest, though. Miami will likely garnish future wages rather try to bankrupt him.

I agree that, in principle, him being allowed to keep the entire bonus is a bad character reinforcer.