PDA

View Full Version : QQ in MP1

Fiddler
09-24-2004, 05:09 PM
Hadn't gone a full orbit so I had no clue about how BB played.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (15.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

Stupid turn raise? Just call it down instead?

brettbrettr
09-24-2004, 05:17 PM
I don't know. While on one hand its weird for him to bet into you after you popped him on the flop, he could be an idiot. I think I play it the same way....

cold_cash
09-24-2004, 05:18 PM
I think raising the turn is fine. You have a good chance at having the best hand, and you picked up some gutshot outs if you don't.

If you were heads-up w/ the BB calling might be better, but with MP3 willing to absorb all this punishment you might as well punish him.

zram21
09-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Looks fine. He might have TT, but he likely would have played something like JT the same way. Plus players stop and go with much worse than that all the time at .5/1. After he 3 bets you are probably in trouble, but you have the gutshot to draw to and the pot is big.

Quercus
09-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Preflop and flop are good.

I don't like the turn raise. He's betting like the T improved his hand. Since he bet first from the BB on the flop, the odds of hand having improved to better than QQ seem to be high to me. From his flop action, its possible that he's on something like 97s, but with just three players to act, he's not really getting odds to pump the pot on the turn, so I would lean towards having some sort of made hand. Two pair or a straight would be a decent guess.

While it is definitely still possible that you are ahead, I think you have to go under the assumption that you are on a draw now. Most of your outs are tainted or uncertain to win with the only almost certain winner would be the three non-heart jacks.

I don't see raising under these circumstances. I would even consider folding at this point since the pot isn't huge, though without a good read on villains playstyle, I could support calling down as well.

(edit: typo fix)

wabe
09-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Hit his straight, did he?

I play this the same way as you. It looks like you just got outdrawn.

Fiddler
09-25-2004, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hit his straight, did he?

I play this the same way as you. It looks like you just got outdrawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he did, he showed J7o and MHING.

DocMartin
09-25-2004, 01:22 PM
I like the play of the whole hand. The turn bet may just be representing a hit on his overcards, the 3-bet gives you the information to slow down.

Quercus
09-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Unless the guy is asleep at the wheel, I don't see him betting into hero if all he has is a pair of tens. Hero raised preflop and then raised on the flop - he's shown a lot of aggression. Villain may be thinking to himself "maybe hero is just being aggressive with AK or AQ so my pair of tens is good" but that's not normal thinking for players at this limit.

Sans read, its a good idea to put low-limit players on loose/passive . Its uncommon for them to lead into an aggressor, even if they think they have the best hand. They won't lead into an aggressor unless they are 99.999% sure they won't be embarrassed on the turn.

(If you use pokertracker, take a look at your stats for low-limit players. LPP outnumbers LAA in my database by almost 5:1 and LPP outnumbers TPP by almost the same margin. No read on a player = passive, and passive players more often than not aren't tricky and are betting what they have.)

(Edit: typo)

afk
09-25-2004, 02:00 PM
I play it the same way.

DocMartin
09-25-2004, 05:49 PM
I like the passivity logic Q. I was thinking along the line that someone might bet top pair especially if they were still on for the flush or straight draw. I'm pretty sure I would.. am I way off?