PDA

View Full Version : Drafts of my chip design

Fins
09-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Thought I'd share my current designs for custom chips. The first design was inspired by Miksen's chips... basically used the same chip body. The second design uses the same theme but uses a diffent chip banding. I thought I'd do drafts up first and decide if I wanted to go the custom chipco route before signing on (i.e. forking out the dough) to get help with an graphics artist. I like the Miksen chip body but since I couldn't fiqure out how to do up the grid on the outside of the chip in photoshop I was limited in the colors I could use which is what drove me to look at the second design. I did up a number of color variations using colors chosen from the homepokerchips.com pdf color chart... they don't look quite right so I'm going to redo them soon trying to match the color chip wheel pics that TabascoJRC posted.

I'd appreciate any comments & criticisms on the design.

Here are two links:

Chip Gallery (http://www.mindspring.com/~beaver/TFC/ChipGallery.html)

Chips on one page (http://www.mindspring.com/~beaver/TFC/Chips.html)

Thanks,
Fins

Aces McGee
09-24-2004, 04:01 PM
I dig these chips.

-McGee

theWhale
09-24-2004, 04:17 PM
Pretty cool man. I like the first set better but I think it could be better. Maybe take out all the little boxes around the edge?

razor
09-24-2004, 04:27 PM
very nice.

I prefer the first set.

Fins
09-24-2004, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty cool man. I like the first set better but I think it could be better. Maybe take out all the little boxes around the edge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

I kind of like the grid banding and the way it stands out on the $100 chip. I was thinking of making the outer grid color match the inner edge spot color though I like the $1 chip. Any suggestions for what to replace it with... a solid contrasting color band?

Thanks for your comments,
Fins

TabascoJRC
09-24-2004, 05:10 PM
just a note from designer to designer, Unless these people are going to buy your chips, take it with a grain of salt hehe.

Fins
09-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks and I'm not sure I'd have much luck in a group buy unless their are more Finnegans out there than I realize. I like your designs and your design skills! Nice job on the edge (stacked) mock up... pretty cool.

Two things keep me from going in with your buy are if I'm spending the money I'd like it customed to me and the other is I'm in the denomination crowd.

- Fins

Aces McGee
09-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Fins

Do you think the colors of the $25 and $100 chips are too similar?

-McGee

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Why put the "2004" on them?

Mojo Tooth
09-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Sorry if this is a naive question. Are they actually octagon chips, or is that just the presentation of the design?

I actually think octagon chips would be totally badass. Might be slightly inconvenient for storage but very cool nonetheless

TenPercenter
09-25-2004, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this is a naive question. Are they actually octagon chips, or is that just the presentation of the design?

I actually think octagon chips would be totally badass. Might be slightly inconvenient for storage but very cool nonetheless

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipco makes 44mm octagons. I am half-ass considering making my $5000 Egyptian piece either a 44mm octagon or one their two plaque sizes. I think they'd be the talk of the game. /images/graemlins/smile.gif BUT! You'd have a hell of a time getting someone to call your $5000 bet if they had to give up their plaque! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

http://www.chipco.com/protech.htm
http://www.chipco.com/sizes.htm

Ten

Mojo Tooth
09-25-2004, 06:14 PM
...awesome

bisonbison
09-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Very classy. I like everything but "2004".

MIKSEN
09-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Great ob, I really liked the design, Obviously it's my choice as well.

I like the way you put in denoms,

miksen

kona
09-26-2004, 05:04 AM
I prefer the G set. The others were nice too but I kept coming back to the G set as the design that is most classic. Putting your hard work out for others to review is difficult but pays dividends. There may be comments made that you didn’t think of. Evaluate each idea and balance it with your tastes and desires. These chips will be yours for a lifetime. Enjoy!

Fins
09-27-2004, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Do you think the colors of the $25 and $100 chips are too similar?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure which chips or colors you're refering to? I think for the first set the green vs black base should be distinct enough. If you mean the edge spots & logo color then maybe... I would like more of a light orange on the $25 green chip and a yellow gold on the $100 black. I had trouble messing with colors of the first set b/c the way I did up the graphic. The second set SWMBO doesn't care for the gray/charcol $100's which I could see being a little too similar to the perriwinkle on the $25. I only did up the gray 100's to see what they looked like 'cause I wasn't sure how sharp the black would look on the actual chips... afraid it might come out as too flat and not the deep satin black that shows on the monitor.

Thanks for your comment and let me know if I missed your point,
Fins

Fins
09-27-2004, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why put the "2004" on them?

[/ QUOTE ]
To date them & add to the nostalgia factor. A big part of my justification was to have chips to pass on. Same for the locale. I've seen comments on other posters designs/chips like "can't wait for the 2005's" which I think's funny. So I given this some thought and still haven't made up my mind but I do think it helps to roundout the design... though it could add to the "busyness" which I want to avoid. Seems like a few people don't like dates on chips but I'm not sure why they object to them.

Thanks for your question,
Fins

Fins
09-27-2004, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the chips are round. The octagon is due to my using Miksen's chip bodies when he posted his design. The graphic is square and I decided to rotate the chip 45°'s which cut off the four corners making an octagon. I was going to erase the edges but thought it a waste of time since I need to just redo the whole thing anyway to be able to change the colors around. Octagons would be cool though... I've never played with odd shaped "European" style chips but I bet it cuts down on the chip riffling.

Thanks,
Fins

Fins
09-27-2004, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very classy. I like everything but "2004".

[/ QUOTE ]
What turns you off about the 2004?

Thanks,
Fins

Fins
09-27-2004, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great ob, I really liked the design, Obviously it's my choice as well.

I like the way you put in denoms,

miksen

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks and you're right the designing is fun confusing /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I hope your cardroom weathered the storms ok. When do your chips arrive (probably not quickly enough)? I'd love to see pics.

- Fins

MIKSEN
09-28-2004, 06:15 AM
Thanks for asking, we did fine in Miami, cant say the same for our neighboring cities, I will post a pic of the chips as soon as they arrive. HOPEFULLY SOON..... Good luck with yours I'd like to say your final version as soon as you have it...

Miksen