PDA

View Full Version : Protecting AA

jluker7
09-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Reads, CO = LA-P
UTG = sLA-A

What does everyone think, played it right or wrong?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 15.16 BB

bdk3clash
09-24-2004, 01:56 PM
I'd raise the flop. Your pot equity is quite high with an overpair and a backdoor flush draw, and you're not going to protect this hand by making it wrong to call with a /images/graemlins/spade.gif draw on the turn, even for 2 bets. Calling on the flop can't even make it immediately wrong for a two-pair/trips draw from UTG or the CO to stick around on the turn, since you won't be making them pay two bets at the same time unless UTG bets, CO calls, you raise, and UTG 3-bets, in which case you're probably behind anyway.

Although you did get bet into again on the turn, if someone has a /images/graemlins/spade.gif draw there's a good chance they're not going to semibluff again on the turn anyway (he might be putting you on an underpair like JJ or TT), and there's a chance the CO might be peeling one off on the flop but won't call on the turn unless he's caught something (which could be anything from a hand you still beat to two pair or trips or a straight or whatever.) Raise to build the pot while you're likely ahead.

As you played the flop, I play the turn and river the same.

This might be a case where you should raise the river because you don't want UTG to overcall, but I'm not sure. Also, CO can't have the nuts, since you have the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, making it less likely you'll get 3-bet, which would really, really suck.

Bob T.
09-24-2004, 01:59 PM
With a two-tone board and the button, I like raising the flop, because the EP bettor should probably threebet and lead the turn with a queen. That would allow me to get more money into the pot while I was still ahead.

dfscott
09-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Raise the flop. Flush draws aren't going anywhere, but there are plenty of other cards that can come on the turn that will suck (2, 4, any /images/graemlins/heart.gif). If you raise, you have a decent shot at getting hands that would like those cards to fold.

easypete
09-24-2004, 02:32 PM
When do we apply SSH, big pot, protect hand on turn?

If there is a gutshot out there A3, A5, or 56, they have odds to call the raise on the flop, right? They are getting 13.33:1 to call. While I agree that you are probably best here, but why not just call here and pop the turn that comes without a /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3, or 5. A raise will not fold an OESD (unlikely) or a flush draw.

This is a topic discussed in ToP and SSH (as well as many other books). A free card was not given on the flop.

fluff
09-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Since you are on the button, and the flop bettor is UTG with 1 caller between the two of you, I don't see how a turn raise could be considered "protecting". No one who called 1 bet, would fold to 1 raise. No one with a 4 flush is going anywhere either. Note that even with your raise on the turn, someone with a 4 outer (gutshot) is still correct in calling.

Raise the flop, and the turn, since your Aces probably have the largest pot equity at those two streets.

bdk3clash
09-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Any thoughts on the point I made above about raising the river to prevent UTG from overcalling?

dfscott
09-24-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts on the point I made above about raising the river to prevent UTG from overcalling?

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed that the first time. As Miller said in SSH, river play is sometimes counter-intuitive -- you might want to call when you have a great hand to get the overcalls, but raise a bluffer when you have a good hand to fold someone who might just beat you.

However, I think the raise is only valid if you're pretty sure you have the better beat. Since CO has been calling down all along and suddenly wakes up (and the read is that he is normally passive late), I don't think you want to raise.

Rico Suave
09-24-2004, 03:35 PM
bdk3clash:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it. I think hero is ahead of UTG and so he would want him to overcall. No?

--Rico

easypete
09-24-2004, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you go for an overcall... CO was calling the entire way, and leads out on the turn... smells like a flush or straight to me. If you raise, UTG may fold. Is this desireable?

If CO calls the raise (or worse yet, 3-bets), you're probably beat. If UTG calls the raise, you're probably beat. I put UTG on a Queen. I think you're in no danger of UTG beating you, while I don't think you're ahead enough w/ a 3-flush and 3-straight board to value raise.

It's a tough decision. I guess if the CO is bluffing the flush and UTG has 2-pr and will fold to the scary board... but will this happen often enough to make it worthwhile?

I dunno...

bunky9590
09-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Raise the flop, bet/raise the turn. Call the river.

jluker7
09-24-2004, 04:27 PM
I was going along with SSH, as easypete said.

My thoughts: I think that it is quite hard to protect your hand on flop by raising. Why? I raise flop, UTG checks on turn. CO checks, I bet, Both Call? Considering they both have odds to chase a draw. I was't focusing on equity. I was going more on odds. Trying to make my oppenents play incorrect. I think raising turn is best against small field.

gamblore99
09-24-2004, 04:27 PM
i raise the flop. raise/bet the turn. on river since CO bet out and has been passive this whole time with all this betting I wouldnt think him to be bluffing. The way it played out I dont put UTG under anything strong, maybe QJ, KQ, maybe AQ. If he has a flush hes not gonna fold to your raise, and you lsoe money from potential callers. So im afraid of CO, but not UTG, im not gonna try and fold UTG. overcall it up.