PDA

View Full Version : Lost on a double-paired board

dfscott
09-24-2004, 01:17 PM
My river play was terrible here, but what about the rest of this?

MP3 seems to be fairly loose and about average in aggression.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font>

easypete
09-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Why are you betting this hyper-weak draw into a field of 6 opponents w/ a paired board? (btw... i checked 3 times for possible made straights /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

And what's up w/ that river call?

Festus22
09-24-2004, 01:30 PM
I don't like the flop bet nor calling the turn raise and especially calling the river raise. Yikes, hat trick!

In an unraised 7 limper pot, your opponents could have anything and there's a 50% chance someone has a 4 (7% chance per player I believe). Of course it's possible one was folded but you can't know that. Since it's even money you're drawing all but dead, I don't want to commit chips with mediocore overcards and a backdoor draw.

Once board is double-paired and you're raised, it's time to bail. You're still only 4:1 to make your hand and it's much more likely than not your flush will be no good anyway.

River, well....I think you already know the answer.

dfscott
09-24-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you betting this hyper-weak draw into a field of 6 opponents w/ a paired board? (btw... i checked 3 times for possible made straights /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just was using the SSH "big pot" rule and felt like it was worth fighting over and a raise might clean up some overcard outs.

[ QUOTE ]

And what's up w/ that river call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Temporary (hopefully) insanity.

IndieMatty
09-24-2004, 01:37 PM
This is a clear check and fold. You can't win every hand..unless this guy ends up having 2's.

Turn Check - Call I guess. River Fold.

I really don't understand this hand. And no furthur analysis of why you should fold numerous times here is necesary. Remember your trying to win money not individual hands.

Play Well.

MoreWineII
09-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Check/fold on all streets, imo.

IndieMatty
09-24-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just was using the SSH "big pot" rule and felt like it was worth fighting over and a raise might clean up some overcard outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the book, but this must be a misapplication.

Right? Anybody want to elaborate on this?

easypete
09-24-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think part of the "big pot" rule is having a hand that can win with. This, I don't believe, is one of those hands.

Bad Beat Story Detector
09-24-2004, 01:48 PM
preflop: good
postflop: bad

fold the flop, fold the turn, fold the river.

folding is the best play a lot of the time.

dfscott
09-24-2004, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the book, but this must be a misapplication.

Right? Anybody want to elaborate on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If memory serves, he says that as a general rule, you can consider a big pot:

1) any pot raised pre-flop with 4+ players seeing the flop
2) any pot where 6+ players are seeing the flop
3) any pot that's capped pre-flop

Although in this case, I think I agree with the other poster who said you need to have a decent shot in order to make it worthwhile.

Thanks all -- I keep posting hand after hand that everyone says I'm playing ok, so it's a relief to finally find something that I'm doing wrong that I can actually fix.

IndieMatty
09-24-2004, 02:23 PM
We all need a kick in the ass once in a while. I sat at a table with you a bit last night, and I saw nothing to assume this would ever be your line. (I dont think you were in any hands) Insert Hated Emoticon Here.

MoreWineII
09-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Maybe you just saw this post and made it a point to sit at his table.

(I kid, I kid!)

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dfscott
09-24-2004, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We all need a kick in the ass once in a while. I sat at a table with you a bit last night, and I saw nothing to assume this would ever be your line. (I dont think you were in any hands) Insert Hated Emoticon Here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the support.

I think I get into "superior mode" occasionally where I try to beat the fish instead of win money, and then pat myself on the back for taking down a 3BB pot. The BR damage is curing me, however.

dfscott
09-24-2004, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you just saw this post and made it a point to sit at his table.

(I kid, I kid!)

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OUCH!

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

chesspain
09-24-2004, 02:35 PM
"Well, Alex, I'll take 'Free Cards on the Flop' in this early Jeopardy round."

chesspain
09-24-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

fold the flop, fold the turn, fold the river.

folding is the best play a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

...except when one isn't yet facing a bet--like on the flop. /images/graemlins/blush.gif